• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple Cider Vinnegar dosage amount?

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Hi my sister (budgie) is 12 years old and has gout. I read a lot about apple cider vinnegar and it seems like it can really help. But Im not sure how much to dilute it with water and if it wont affect her stomache. Does anyone have experience giving their birds ACV and if so how did you dilute it exactly? I have read that its best to give it to them 2 to 3 times a week. Im thinking giving it to her every other day of the week for only 3 days (example: Monday, Wendsday, Friday only). So if anyone know hows to properly dilute it and make sure it does not taste bad please tell me. She has a history of regurgitating if something taste bad.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
2 teaspoons per quart, or 10ml per litre. I try to give it for a full week with at least 3 weeks break.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
2 teaspoons per quart, or 10ml per litre. I try to give it for a full week with at least 3 weeks break.
Thanks and one more question. When you offer it to them do you just leave the container/water bowl that has it in it out? Like if I was to do it for her would I just leave the bowl out for her to drink it all day whenever she pleases for that one day or do I just give her a few sips and thats it?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Let her drink it all day, changing it once or twice during the day of course.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
I don't mix the ACV water and store it in the frig because it takes too long to warm to room temperature. I mix it every day, 3 drops in 100 ml water. I put it in my guys water bowl and leave it for them. It gets changed 2-3 times a day, mixing fresh each time.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
I don't mix the ACV water and store it in the frig because it takes too long to warm to room temperature. I mix it every day, 3 drops in 100 ml water. I put it in my guys water bowl and leave it for them. It gets changed 2-3 times a day, mixing fresh each time.
That sounds like a good alternative if someone has nothing to store it in. As for me kony (budgie) is used to drinking cold water because I serve her filtered water from the frige and its always cold so i dont think she will mind. When I make it I plan to taste test it multiple times to make sure its not too acidic. The only thing I dont know is how long will it last if kept in the fridge like when does it go rotten.
Edit: The best thing I have to store it in is open glasses and a giant glass like jug that has no lid.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
I thought I read somewhere that feeding a budgie cold water/food slows the digestion in the crop which could lead to sour crop. Maybe that's only for babies. I let everything I feed my guys come to room temp before I give it to them.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
@Ripshod @Mybluebird So I gave her the ACV diluted in water like ripshod said. When I made it on tuesday I taste tested it myself first. I found it to be a bit too acidic to the taste (i held it in my mouth for a few seconds and it burned my toung) so i added just a tiny bit more water. This was the first time I ever tasted ACV myself, same for kony so I wanted to make sure it wasent too acidic to the taste. And she likes it. She kinda shakes her head when she first drinks it and realizes its not just water but after pokeing my finger in it a few times she drinks it just fine. im giving it to her every other day 3 days a week (tuesday, thursday, Saturday). (I also found out that even my mom drinks dilluted ACV every week)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t even measure the ACV anymore which I’m certainly not actually recommending... I’m just admitting that I am darn lazy! I always offer two water dishes- one with vinegar and water and the other with just fresh water- when its not ACV week then he just gets two fresh water bowls. My little guy loves the ACV water and some days that’s all he seems to drink but other days he switches between fresh water and ACV water.