• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple Cider Vineger for Arthritis

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
This is another good reason to add ACV to your birds diet. Among the many health benefits, it is also good for arthritis. I would not give raw honey to birds but the ACV added to their drinking water or fresh foods is most beneficial.
The Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Ok, Thank you Pat!:) I just gave all my fids ACV yesterday.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky has been getting ACV everyday for over a year now. This is what saved my Squeeky as a baby. He will always continue to get this. He doesn't have arthritus though.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the link Pat I just sent this to my sister for her self. She has been suffering from terrible joint pain and is in the process of being tested for numerous things to try to figure out what is going on.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
More food for thought. I just wish it tasted better. :D

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
More food for thought. I just wish it tasted better. :D
Squeeky is use to the taste now lol but I try to dilute a little so it doesn't smell as much.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
here is my dumb question for the day

what is raw honey? LOL

My grandpa raised bee's and always collected their honey, and then put it in jars (they had a store bought honey jar shaped like a bear they'd fill that one just for me :D) is that raw honey? coming straight from the bee's and never going to a processing plant?

I just know its good and I love honey on my toast (Thanks to my grandparents and my lil' bear honey Jar LOL)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
ATV that isnt a dumb question. Yes raw honey is taken right out of the hive, unprocessed in any way which sounds like what you have eaten. :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
ATV that isnt a dumb question. Yes raw honey is taken right out of the hive, unprocessed in any way which sounds like what you have eaten. :)

ahh thank you

yes I grew up eating it and i'm just fine :D but I do know not to give any type of honey to a child under 2 :D But didn't know raw honey wasn't good for birds

but now i'm on store bought honey any way because my grandpa well lives in a different state than I do and no longer has his bees

but I've eaten it from about 4 yrs old til i was 28 ( i'm 33 btw) and when i was younger I ate it at least once a week when we visited my grandparents

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Pat, how much do you put in their drinking water bowl?
Patter if you are adding it for general well being, I think 1TBS per pint of water is a good amount. When treating for yeast or bacterial infection I know the ratio is higher. I think we have another sticky about ACV, let me check that.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I use one tbsp of ACV to every 1 pint of water, if your bird is healthy. If he is having bacterial infection issues then I would use 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp per pint of water.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I can't get mine to drink the water if I put ACV in it. How do you guys get them used to it? I don't want them not to drink and get dehydrated.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Well Squeeky didn't really mind it but I started it with him when he was a baby. If I were you I would start by putting in a few drops into their bowl/bottle to where they can't really smell or taste anything and then just gradually start putting in more little by little.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I can't get mine to drink the water if I put ACV in it. How do you guys get them used to it? I don't want them not to drink and get dehydrated.

when I do their water now (at this house kitchen is closer than the old house lol) I put a drop in each 10 oz water dish 2 drops in each 20 oz water dish

At my old house I had to carry a bucket to dump the old water in and filled a milk jug to water them It was too many trips down the hall to the kitchen - made it easier

When I did it like that I poured probably 4-5 cap fulls of AVC into the milk jug (it just barely covered the bottom of the jug) then filled the jug with water put the cap on and gave it a few good shakes to mix it up and went on to my duty of watering the birds.

I don't know if it was the right ratio but It got rid of my Budgies tumor 2 1/2 years ago and its never returned (and that was using the store bought kind not the kind every one else uses)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Chris like ATV said just start out with a drop or two in 10/20oz water dish. I actually usually do it as a treat for them to drink out of a little dish that I have in my hand. I use GSE more than ACV as a preventitive but I would like to start using the ACV maybe every other week.

Status
Not open for further replies.