• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple Cider Vinegar

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
yes they can but very very little, and not very often because it does contain alot of sugar
Well what about the type of sugar? Honey has been proven to be different. I think I am going to try a very very little on Gizmo due to his severity of sickness. I am going to detox him too.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
For preventative measures, what I've heard, is add it to the water for two weeks every six months. I can't tell you how to use it if your bird has been diagnosed with something. That's probably something you should talk to your vet about.

ACV is also great for cleaning veggies and sprouts.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Ok so should you give them probiotics after the 2 weeks of ACV in their water?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I have given Squeeky ACV in his water everyday for over 2 years now. I have given him pro biotics at the same time as his ACV in his water. It was fine.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My vet had my GCC use 1 tablespoon per pint of water for one month when he showed positive for bacteria. She also wanted him to eat a dap of yogurt daily while doing so. It did get rid of the bacteria, however how much to use as a preventative, I do not know and would like to know also and what about probiotics when taking it?

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
This is why I have yet to use it. There are so many questions about it.

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
I love vinegar potato chips does that count.. lol JK... I love the info here and will write it down for future reference as I do clean with it but had not put in in drinking water before. Thank you for the info Jamie!!!:highfive:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I use 1 tablespoon per pint of water as a daily preventative. That might be too strong of a taste for birds who are not use to it so you can start off by a smaller dosage and work your way up.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Every few weeks I add a teaspoon to the pitcher I take into the bird room for the bird's water.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So I am confused at the different suggestions for the ratio of water to vinegar. How much ACV do I use in 1 quart of water? thanks

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So I am confused at the different suggestions for the ratio of water to vinegar. How much ACV do I use in 1 quart of water? thanks
My Avian Vet recommends 1 tablespoon per quart. Just do it once a month for 3 days or so. This is for prevention.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Like all things. Only use it for a reason. If there is no reason then there is no point in it.
It also has been said that continuous use is not a good thing.
So as far as i am concerned I have not ever used it and find no reason to.
Yet I have good healthy birds. Go figure?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My vet finally called last night. The ACV is being given for avian gastric yeast in my birds. I would not give it to them if there was no reason. The recommended ratio from his is 2 tsp. of ACV in 1 quart of water which is less than what is suggested here by members. My birds are small so I am going with his suggestions. thanks for the replies.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I was told by my Avian Vet that if you use a water bowl chances are your bird will get something. Sunshines water bowl is dirty all the time and I would change it at least twice a day! That's why the prevention. I think many birds looks healthy but have a minor infection do to the water. I took my daughter's Cockatiel in for a check up for his eye, which was fine and they found a slight infection in the stool sample. Not enough for meds but the vinegar would do the trick. Anyway Sunshine is using a water bottle now. Also just stepping in poop and then putting it in there beak. That to can cause bacteria infection. I have a canary and I do it every 6 weeks for a couple of days.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet recommended 16 ml. in 1 liter of water for 3 weeks to treat a yeast infection. I used Bragg's apple cider vinegar.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Since I started the vinegar in the drinking water Chipper has not vomited and he looks a little better with face feathers clean.
I wonder if that is enough to clear out the fungal problem? I do use a water bowl and clean it 2 times a day with GSE. Thanks for your input. I am using Trader Joe's unfiltered vinegar and boy does it stink! :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Since I started the vinegar in the drinking water Chipper has not vomited and he looks a little better with face feathers clean.
I wonder if that is enough to clear out the fungal problem? I do use a water bowl and clean it 2 times a day with GSE. Thanks for your input. I am using Trader Joe's unfiltered vinegar and boy does it stink! :)

It will not be enough to clear out AGY.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was just wising hard. I respect your input as you have been through it with your Macaw.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I was just wising hard. I respect your input as you have been through it with your Macaw.

Yes I have. Something I do not wish to do again. I just saw your thread regarding it and will post there if I can be of any help. :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also drink it once or twice a week. I add one tablespoon to a cup of water and then also add some Stevia to improve the taste.