• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple Cider Vinegar

shibaak

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shibaak
Acv has been used over here by breeders and such for years, i cant tell you what ratio or anything but even our "goto" parrot organisation recommends to spare ACV on birds to aid in feather condition, also removes/keeps away mites and aids in dry/itchy skin.

As always this should only be authorised by an avian vet, the article doesn't list the does wage as i assume this is based on size, problem and reason for use of ACV.

Thank you very much.
You say "to spare ACV on birds". Can you explain what it means? Doe sthis mean spraying? If so how much water to ACV ratio? And should I rinse the bird after spraying with ACV dilute?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would personally rinse it off a bird.
The instructions I was given for human hair/scalp cleansing is to rinse it off.

At a guess I would think for dilution at least 50/50 or maybe even more water than that for a bird.
Can you call the vet who told you to do this and ask for more descriptive instructions and information?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
2 tsp per quart is the ratio I used for drinking so I think it would be ok for a bath. Just be careful not to get the mixed ACV in your birds eyes. If you rinsed it off I would think there would be no reason to use it so I am not sure about that.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Thank you very much.
You say "to spare ACV on birds". Can you explain what it means? Doe sthis mean spraying? If so how much water to ACV ratio? And should I rinse the bird after spraying with ACV dilute?
Sorry yes spraying (typo)

i really cant tell you the amount, this needs to be done by a vet, guessing could do so much more harm than good, but in theory, if they can drink it then spraying it and leaving it on can do no harm BUT i have to really strongly advise an avian vet advises this.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would not spray ACV on a bird. Would not feel good in eyes or ears.

shibaak

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shibaak
thank you all. I did spray the dilute of 2 litres of water and 1/4 cup of ACV on my bird for 2 days. Both days my husband took him to the shower and first rinse him with water. Then my husband covered his head and I went all over his body, tried to open his feathers and spray the dilute under all his feathers. We let it stay for about a minute and then rinsed him. I also added a very small amount to hos water. Surprisingly, he got much better. His feet is almost white now and there is very little pinkish color left. No more redness or purpleness.

We did not do this today to see how it went and to make sure he was not being hurt. this evening I realized he was picking on his feathers again.
I will continue doing what I was doing for a while until I make sure he is completely ok. And then will decrease the frequency and ratio gradually. I think it is woking and hopefully helps him get better. I will update here. Maybe it would be helpful to someone else as well.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
thank you all. I did spray the dilute of 2 litres of water and 1/4 cup of ACV on my bird for 2 days. Both days my husband took him to the shower and first rinse him with water. Then my husband covered his head and I went all over his body, tried to open his feathers and spray the dilute under all his feathers. We let it stay for about a minute and then rinsed him. I also added a very small amount to hos water. Surprisingly, he got much better. His feet is almost white now and there is very little pinkish color left. No more redness or purpleness.

We did not do this today to see how it went and to make sure he was not being hurt. this evening I realized he was picking on his feathers again.
I will continue doing what I was doing for a while until I make sure he is completely ok. And then will decrease the frequency and ratio gradually. I think it is woking and hopefully helps him get better. I will update here. Maybe it would be helpful to someone else as well.
How did it go?

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
This question comes up often ... "how much apple cider vinegar to add to my bird's drinking water?" ... A while back while I was at the vet's office, I found out that two of my birds have some budding yeast in their droppings. Everything else was perfect (blood, bacteria, physical exam, etc) so the vet did not see any need to use medications to treat this problem. It was not surprising to me, because they both eat lorikeet powder which has a higher amount of sugar in it, as compared to other parrot foods. So these birds often have issues with yeast.

His recommendation was to go back to adding apple cider vinegar to their water and recommended a ratio of 1/2 to 1 tablespoon per cup of water. In metric units, that would be about 15 ml apple cider vinegar in 240 ml water or 30 ml apple cider vinegar to 1 liter of water. I have decided to mix up a gallon to keep in the refrigerator. Using 1/2 tablespoon as basis means adding 8 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of tap water. If I had a bigger problem to deal with, I would have increased the amount to 16 tablespoons per gallon of water.

I use Bragg brand of apple cider vinegar & get it at Whole Foods (also at other grocery stores). It's not very expensive. I think this 1 liter bottle was about $4.00. There are other brands and you can find it at all sorts of markets. This particular brand is unfiltered. Meaning it will be cloudy and contain a fluffy material. This is the bacteria that is used to create the vinegar.

Basically, when you make apple cider vinegar, you allow bacteria to convert the sugar in the apple cider to alcohol. Another type of bacteria converts the alcohol to vinegar.

The vinegar helps to acidify the digestive system in the birds and controls the overgrowth of yeast and other undesirable organisms.
i just recently started giving my girl 1/8 of a teaspoon mixed into her i assume (1 1/2 cup) water bowl once a month for a week and it works wonderfully, it seems like a minuscule amount but i use it as a preventative + her water is always so much cleaner then it usually is.