• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

apple cider vinegar

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

Yet another question about my cockatiel chick.

It is 22 days old, pin feathers are in (some of the sheaths are coming off). This morning I noticed the crop wasn't fully empty, mostly empty but not fully. A few things I think that contributed. My husband gave it a little food at 12am (we've been worried about its weight), and I believe the brooder temp dipped a bit last night to about 79 degrees F. So this morning, when I checked the chick for its meal, I noticed the crop and haven't fed it yet. I brought the brooder up to about 84 degrees F, the crop appears to be emptying but slowly. I've read about the use of apple cider vinegar (which I have at home), but have yet to see how much to administer. I would like to mix some in its first feeding, but do not know how much. I am handfeeding with Kaytee Exact, 1:2 (formula: water), and currently mix one tablespoon to two tablespoons water (give or take a little on the water to get consistency).

how much apple cider vinegar to give with one feeding, to one cockatiel chick?

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
So I found a few threads that mentioned some of the apple cider vinegar in water. I ended up diluting it adding 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of water and used that dilution instead of plain water for the morning feeding (which was pretty late I think around 9am). Then I did Pedialyte at 10am, noon and gently massaged the crop. At 2 pm the crop was empty! So I mixed the dry formula with coconut water and water and was very careful to get it warm enough. The chick is acting a lot better now too. It seemed pretty lethargic before.

Any tips on how frequently to use the apple cider vinegar, would be greatly appreciated!

I saw the video on the papaya treatment and was wondering more about that too. We do have half a papaya in our freezer. Would that be good to do as a preventative?

I really want to avoid the slow crop again. It stressed me out a lot! I called multiple vets around here to see if I could bring the chick in and they are booked until Nov or not taking new clients. I'm also just still worried about the weight of the chick. It has been doing great putting on weight for growth, but it is just thin in general. IMG_20210910_175646138.jpg

Last edited:

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Also is this feeding schedule correct? I've been trying 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm and 10pm
1631322083425.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I believe the brooder temp dipped a bit last night to about 79 degrees F.
Sudden changes in temperature of the brooder and cause digestion problems.
It could be this is the cause for the crop emptying slower that one time.
If you have papaya, then keep it on hand should you need it again (if the crop slows).

How much does this bird weigh (on an empty crop)?
How many CC are you feeding per feed?

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
I fed is about 8-9 ccs yesterday per feeding. It weighed 85 grams yesterday morning. I forgot to weigh it this morning because I was distressed when I saw the crop had not emptied fully again. I gave it a little Pedialyte this morning, but held off on the feeding for now. I think I definitely need to do the papaya. Should I just give it the papaya puree with Pedialyte added? And hold off on the formula until it empties? Sorry the photo is blurry, the chick was not happy being held like that. IMG_20210911_060336444.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think I definitely need to do the papaya. Should I just give it the papaya puree with Pedialyte added?
Here are the instructions on how to use papaya cream;

It weighed 85 grams yesterday morning
Was the crop completely empty when you weighed your bird?

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Not 100% empty. So it probably weighed more like 83 grams. The crop has been very nearly empty, but just not quite there.

I saw this on a thread by the ask noodles author on the talk cockatiel forum:
"You might be able to find Papaya tablets at a pharmacy. If so if the crop is a little slow moving you can crush up a 1/4 tablet to the feeding."

Would that work as well?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t know about the tablets. That´s the first I´ve heard of them. But Susanne Russo really knows her stuff with cockatiels and their chicks.
Her website is;

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
I should add that the chick has been going the bathroom just fine, it did do a feeding response when I gave it the Pedialyte this morning. Its crop is mostly emptying, just not all the way there. Before yesterday, the crop would be empty every morning.

I'm trying to thaw out the papaya now for the treatment.

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
I feed the papaya as directed. The chick looks a lot worse and threw up a little of the mixture.
I also weighed it, it is 80 grams.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would inform your vet of the situation, and if the crop slows again, take the chick to be looked at.

Did you follow the instructions to the T? Did you warm the papaya?

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
I did follow the directions like in the video (cut up the papaya seeds and some flesh, blended, strained and added Pedialyte) and warmed so I fed at 105.

I've contacted three vets but no one will take an appt. I'm just so heartbroken about it.

Last edited:

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Shoot. I read the text below and saw it said to add to formula. I gave it straight. I'm pretty exhausted, I hope it can turn around from that.

genie-e

Meeting neighbors

It's reading through other threads and saw this one. It seems very similar to my situation. No smell, good poops, moving around the brooder,etc. But the crop just isn't draining over night. It is going down a lot, but not 100%.

Do you know whatever happened to this chick? Did it end up needing a crop bra? I'm wondering if my chick's crop is stretched just enough to slow things down.

I tried to get some photos of it's profile, but the site won't let me load it.

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Monday, I finally located a vet that would take the chick!! (S)he went in and stayed the night. Now back at home and seems to be on the mend

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@genie-e For the benefit of others who may face the same problem, could you tel us what the vet had to say about your birds condition and what she did to correct it.

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Sure, our bird was in bad shape. Her crop was stretched and she had a fungal and bacterial infection. She stayed at the vet overnight and they administered a medication to help her crop mobility. Also gave her anti-fungal and antibiotics, which we continued (plus the crop medicine) at home for 10 days. We also did more frequent smaller meals to allow her crop to return to a healthy size, which luckily it did. I think we got her to the vet just in time before the damage was irreparable.