• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple cider vinegar and birds?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz

When Bronson was plucking due to the yeast infection on her skin, my vet also recommended misting with vinegar water. It brought immediate relief in combination with her meds. :)
That's interesting, Dani. :)

frankensteinflys

Strolling the yard
I pet sat for a lady whose birds were on 4 T ACV to one gallon of water. Refrigerated and used as her parrots' permanent water source. Prescribed by her avian vet because her 2 conures were very prone to giardia. Can't imagine why because they were on an excellent diet. I don't know how the birds were able to drink that much ACV, but they did. Her birds were in excellent feather and shape.

When I get a new bird, I always put it on ACV for at least 2 weeks. 1 T to 1 gal water. If the bird has a bacterial infection, fungal infection or giardia just starting that makes a condition in the gut where it can't reproduce. This worked for me with a bourke with diahhrea too. Cleared it up in 3 days.

But if the bird is really sick, it will need an antibiotic prescribed by your avian vet....

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Vinegar and water combo does make for good cleaning but it is not antimicrobial. I only use warm, clean water to mist birds.

Deueller

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Zach
When I first got Luna, her gram stain came back positive for gram neg. bacteria. So the vet and I talked and our solution was to use ACV and water to do just that, make her body inhospitable for bacteria. Worked like a charm!

pipi

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
merri
Hi..my tiel got feather mites..do you think that acv mist can help get rid of the mites?

And if i want to add acv in his drinking bowl..How many drops should i add?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The ratio for vinegar water in a bird's dish is 2 Tsp. per quart. This is from 2 vets I went to.

shibaak

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shibaak
When Bronson was plucking due to the yeast infection on her skin, my vet also recommended misting with vinegar water. It brought immediate relief in combination with her meds. :)
Hello. I know this is very old post but I will try. Maybe someone would have an answer. Can you tell me what was the ratio of water to ACV and what you did after? Did you mist the bird and then rinse her after misting?