• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple cider vinegar and birds?

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
I use organic raw apple cider vinegar and water to clean my tabletops, stove and counter as well as other things here and there in the house. I was told from someone on a facebook group to watch out with vinegar and birds. Is this true and does it mean ACV too? I use it instead of other cleaners because of our kids and animals. Should I use something else?

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
Really? So would you say it's safe to even add to their water for added health? What about misting them with part acv part water? Would it do their feathers/skin any good? they'd end up ingesting some while preening as well so now I'm curious :)
The person that mentioned vinegar being dangerous said something about fumes when it is heated... maybe they just meant regular vinegar?? :confused:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Really? So would you say it's safe to even add to their water for added health? What about misting them with part acv part water? Would it do their feathers/skin any good? they'd end up ingesting some while preening as well so now I'm curious :)
The person that mentioned vinegar being dangerous said something about fumes when it is heated... maybe they just meant regular vinegar?? :confused:
Well maybe someone else would chime in. It sort of struck a logical chord just now when you said heating up and fumes. I wouldn't mist them, as I think the vinegar would tend to be drying. I only ever use water, because oils come out of their preen gland for that purpose. But yes, it is in my guys' water all the time. Because we had been fighting bacteria and also have a new guy quarantined, my vet suggested one capful in first gallon used, 2 capfuls in next, up to 4, hold for a couple of weeks then back down to 2 and stay there. So I wouldn't do anything that creates funds, organic or not. Btw, I use the one with the "mother" in it. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There is a warning around the internet right now about vinegar being heated because someone ran vinegar through the dishwasher and a bird died. Now, there are a lot of different theories about what actually happened, but there is currently no science behind the warning. Vinegar is safe to use, whether white or apple cider, and can be used for the water. I would not spray birds with anything except water.

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
Okay. Just wanted to check. I usually do just water when misting them. Anzu isn't too sure if he likes misting but my budgies and Sillybird were loving their "bath" today. I need to buy a new spray bottle because I added ACV to that bottle after I misted them with just water so I could clean my stove. That's why I was wondering about the heating thing. I mist the stovetop then wipe it down with a damp sponge and towel dry it.. Would that be safe to still use the acv?
I also toss some in with our cloth diapers when washing on occasion. Yes, we use cloth diapers :p
Maybe i will start adding a small amount in their water :) I want my birds as healthy as possible so anything that helps I want to try :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, I think you can still wipe down your stove with it. :) But only because Shawna said so. :rofl:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't personally add ACV to water as I think a lot of the benefits are overhyped :) But to each their own - I would ask your vet what they think.

I use vinegar all over my house, including to clean bird cages. I heat it in my microwave, run it through my Keurig, use it in my humidifier, and have even added it to my bath. I use it on my face every day. There are things it shouldn't mix with, especially bleach and I've also heard not to mix it with hydrogen peroxide.

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
For cleaning, I generally use diluted white vinegar. For the birds water bottles, I use Bragg ACV because it has Mother and all the good vitamins and minerals. The health benefits include aiding digestion, detoxifying, balancing pH levels, boosts immune systems, can be used externally for minor wounds and feather problems (diluted mist), to name a few. I also use it in my last rinse when sprouting. Some people use it on their bird's fresh food to prevent bacteria growth (I don't, because I don't leave their fresh foods sit long enough to worry).

It's also makes an excellent hair conditioner.

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
We only mix it with water :) I rarely use bleach anyways. We have some, but it's still hardly touched and we've had it nearly a year. :lol: I don't like chemicals in the house.. I don't want my birds, cat or kids breathing in that stuff. My fiance hates the smell of acv..but I hate the smell of chemicals! So we're even. It's not like he cleans the counters and stove anyways. Men!

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
Braggs brand Apple Cider Vinager is AWSOME for birds... Keeps their bodies PH balanced, yeast free, and strengthens the immune system. As far as SPRAYING it on birds? ... I dont know? I personally use a Aloe, coconut oil & water spray on my birds. No vinager. But perhaps someone else has had expirience more with topical use. As far as cleaning surfaces & health booster though, it rocks!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Braggs brand Apple Cider Vinager is AWSOME for birds... Keeps their bodies PH balanced, yeast free, and strengthens the immune system. As far as SPRAYING it on birds? ... I dont know? I personally use a Aloe, coconut oil & water spray on my birds. No vinager. But perhaps someone else has had expirience more with topical use. As far as cleaning surfaces & health booster though, it rocks!
I use the Braggs with the Mother in it too. Good stuff.

Nevermores Mum

Real Name
Kacie
I use the Braggs with the Mother in it too. Good stuff.
Good stuff indeed... My husband thinks I am nuts because I drink the stuff (a table spoon in apple juice daily) and I give it to the animals. But It is very good for keeping PH in balance. Braggs truly is the best. Most of the benefits are in the mother.

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
How much would you use for birds? We have braggs. I should try it with myself and my kiddos too. My fiance wouldn't try it. He thinks it smells awful and hates when I use it to clean.

Nevermores Mum

Real Name
Kacie
Most vets suggest one or two capfuls per gallon for atleast 30 days every 3-6 mos if you are using it to keep yeast away, ph in balance and as a health/immune booster. Personally, for myself, I either put a tsp-tablespn in apple juice (it tastes similar to "hard" apple cider) or I put a capful in each bottle of my water throughout the day. My husband takes it straight off the spoon.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Awesome..I am going to start adding it to water for me and my birds. I currently only use it to rinse my sprouts. I use distilled white vinegar and water to clean cages and Bragg ACV for the sprouts.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I used to mist the birds with a little ACV in the water. :D I think I started doing that because my vet recommended it for Kobe as he seems to be a little allergic to his own dander - he said it would help change the pH of his skin. I usually add a little ACV to their evening meals, but I use white vinegar to clean as it's cheaper.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Apple cider vinegar should NOT be used everyday in your birds water. 7-10 days at the longest. It will kill good bacteria as well as bad so should be used sparingly.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
I used to mist the birds with a little ACV in the water. :D I think I started doing that because my vet recommended it for Kobe as he seems to be a little allergic to his own dander - he said it would help change the pH of his skin. I usually add a little ACV to their evening meals, but I use white vinegar to clean as it's cheaper.
When Bronson was plucking due to the yeast infection on her skin, my vet also recommended misting with vinegar water. It brought immediate relief in combination with her meds. :)