• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apparently, Taco's for sale!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, it's 9:30 at night, I'm sitting in the living room with my cat watching a movie, and someone comes knocking and ringing at my door. I automatically assume it's the postman coming with my SS delivery, so I head right on over to answer it...but it isn't the postman.

It's a guy in his thirties. Who has come to buy Taco.

Quoi?

So, a friend of mine (though at this point in time I hesitate to call her that :shifty:) has been pushing me endlessly to rehome the fids recently, because of their new favourite game. AKA, knocking the stuffing out of themselves and having to be rushed to the vet. Obviously I haven't even entertained the idea, since I have a dedicated vet fund and my birds are more than worth the money, but she isn't an animal person and doesn't agree.

Apparently, she took it upon herself to rid me of my """burden""", and put all four of my fids up for sale. Along with my snake. And my fish. And just about everyone except my tarantula.

Yeah.

Evidently, she's been carrying on conversations with quite a few potential buyers, all the while pretending to be me, and handing out my address for interested folk to come around and view them. A few have shown up already, but serendipity had it that I wasn't home any of those other times, and they left disappointed.

My friend has defended herself by saying that she was certain that I'd be happy to part with my beloved pets once someone came to the door with cash in hand. After all, who would turn down $3000 for a macaw who has racked up twice that in vet bills in just seven months? Answer: me.

I literally feel like I'm on another plane of existence right now, lmao. Whooooo does that? Like, really, who? She actually went to the extent that she advertised them in the newspaper instead of on Kijiji, since she knows I'm always checking out the pet section there and don't read the paper. She clearly didn't want me to know what she was doing, but somehow also expected me to be grateful for her help?

I'm bamboozled. Flabbergasted. Dumbfounded.

So I guess, hey, if you've got $3000, Taco is currently for sale!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would drop her like a hot rock, IMHO friend she is not, controlling is what she is

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Never answer your door at night if you aren't expecting someone and I agree... get rid of that friend.. You know what they say about good intentions? Sometimes they lead to the path of H E double hocky sticks.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@hrafn did you ever see a movie called Single White Female, that's what this reminds me of. Its kinda creepy, there is a single girl that has a roommate (girl) that copies everything she does down to wearing the same clothes, shoes, etc and she is even being her at times

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
That is absolutely crazy; I’ve never heard anything like that! :sour: Why the heck does it matter to her what you spend your money on?? Clearly you really love your pets and that should be a good enough explanation for why you do what you do for them. As a matter of fact, you shouldn’t have to explain to her why you do all of that for them. Ugh, if I were in your situation, she wouldn’t be my friend anymore.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
WTF¡¿?!. Ditch the friend asap, cuz honey that ain't a friend its a sicko.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm currently still grilling her for what she did, and just found out the going rates for the other three fids:

$100 for Kamara
$50 for Aurélie
$10 for Kraz

Ten bucks for a fid who's been with me since I was fourteen years old. Solid.

I honestly feel really bad for the guy who came to adopt Taco. He was just as confused as I was, and incredibly apologetic and horrified once he realised that he'd been taken in by a liar, and sent out to buy an unsuspecting stranger's dearly beloved pet. He told me that he'd been talking to my "friend" for an entire week, chatting back and forth about Taco and getting increasingly excited about meeting him; the guy has two macaws himself, and was looking forward to a third.

I'm not the only one who's been victimised by this brash, thoughtless idea of hers.

I've gone up one side of her and down the other, and she seems to have an inkling that what she did was horrific and cruel, but she's also continuing to try to defend herself. We're not close friends by any stretch, and while she's never done anything wrong by me before, I'm well and truly over her. What an absolute nutball.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:eek:Wow, that’s so unbelievably crazy! I’m sorry your friend turned out to be so nutty, and I hope you don’t have to deal with too many “buyers.” Also, I agree, don’t open your door at night unless you know who it is.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am absolutely speechless. What the...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
One more thing ( or two) .. if she is privy to any of your social media.... block, unfriend, delete any connection to this person. She is nothing but a bug on the horizon now... a speck... zip, zero... nada mas. She's not my friend and she's really ticked me off. :delete:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She gave out your address to complete strangers? What the actual f? I would be furious!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Omg. What a crazy person! She needs help or a set of handcuffs and a locked room. She sounds like a dangerous person to know.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first thing that came to my mind is what kind of danger has she put you and your birds into. Giving your address out and advertising that you have parrots is unbelievably dangerous. There are lots of nuts out there and one of them may come to your door and when you aren't home, or even worse when you are home.

Do you have a burglar alarm on your home? Do you have a peephole in your door? Do you have a chain on your door? You had better get all three and always use the peephole before answering the door.

What an ignorant SOB that broad is. I'd be tempted to file a complaint against her and see how she likes the trouble you've been put through.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:omg:

Is there any way to report this to the police? It seems like it should be a crime...I’m just not sure what the crime would be. How awful and scary!