• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apartment Birds?

conurehrdr

Meeting neighbors
I've heard mixed messages about Pionus parrots as apartment birds. I had a white capped who was relatively quiet, except for his occasional alarm calls. Never had problems when I had him. Now I'm finding some people don't recommend them as apartment pets? WHat are your experiences with Pionus parrot noise? I found August, my white capped, was quieter than my cockatiels in terms of frequency, but louder in volume.

Does it matter according to species? Individual bird? Thanks in advance!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Some birds are quieter than others. It will all come down to the individual bird.

And the other thing is some neighbours are more tolerant than others in regards to noise levels.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Building construction & your placement in the building really impacts things too.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It really depends on the bird. Some Pionus can be very quiet. Others can be the loudest bird in a mixed species flock. Males can be a bit louder than females, but there are some noisy hens too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My friend had a pionus that made me want a pionus - super independent, quiet.

Then I met another pionus that was the opposite :lol:

It definitely varies :)

Hobart

Moving in
I live in a corner apartment, middle floor, with a Maxi Pionus. The building may be built well for noise altho I do hear my upstairs neighbor walking/vacuuming etc. LOL. My Pionus will scream briefly (probably less than 10 minutes) in the morning, usually at something/nothing out the window. Sometimes closing the blinds all or partway will get her to think about doing something else and sometimes it makes no difference. However my neighbors say they don't hear her, and a couple of them didn't even realize that I have a parrot. Other than the early morning wake up the world calls the only problem I have with her in an apartment is that she's a little buzz saw and has suddenly decided that door trim and cabinet tops are more fun to chew on than all the toys. So now I have to keep the bathroom/bedroom doors closed to keep her from using them as a perch to chew trim pieces. Not a big deal really, just a new wrinkle in our living together. I used foam board to block off access to the top of the kitchen cabinetry since she wanted to chew on the top edges of those. She sulked for a day and now doesn't even seem to remember that she used to have a landing pad up there. I have her main cage, two play stands and a big swing hanging from the ceiling in my living area (kitchen/dining/front room plus a sunroom) and she flies back and forth so she gets exercise that way. My Pionus is about as snuggly as they get. She's independent but also wants to be with me a lot and when on my shoulder will briefly press her beak up against my neck or cheek. So overall I have had no problems with a Pionus in the apartment.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Pionus is about as snuggly as they get. She's independent but also wants to be with me a lot and when on my shoulder will briefly press her beak up against my neck or cheek. So overall I have had no problems with a Pionus in the apartment.
Please don't do this. Snuggling and shoulder time will convince a parrot that you are its mate. We simply cannot be the mate that a parrot wants: a parrot expects that their mate will be with them 24/7 and be able to nest and raise young with them, and we simply cannot give them that. The fact that we leave them while we work or see friends or run errands is stressful for them. That we have relationships and friendships with other people is stressful for them. That we can't mate with them and rear young together is stressful for them.

A parrot who thinks that you are their mate will go into hormonal overdrive which takes a toll on their body. It is also very likely to result in behavioural issues like screaming, feather destruction, trying to nest everywhere, territorial behaviours, aggression and egg laying.

My older BW hen loved spending time on my shoulder, being around me, preening my hair and snuggling. Unfortunately, this all convinced her that I was her partner. She started barbering her feathers, tearing up her cage paper to nest and was constantly seeking out cavities. She would also puff up and lunge at my wife. We worked with Pam Clark to get our relationship back on the right track and it's a slow process. It's honestly stressful and unpleasant and I wish my parrot was less horny.

Now neither of my birds are allowed shoulder time or allowed to sit on knees, laps or arms. They have foraging and toys to keep them busy, we do a lot of target training where they fly to the target, and I'm teaching them how to spin with the target stick. I want my parrots to be friends with me, and not see me as a potential mate.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think in these threads it’s important to state the age of the bird. IME, the older the bird, the louder they are. A baby isn’t going to be sexually frustrated, hormonal or yelling.

Reactions: tka