• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apartment bird recommendations?

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
I figured this should go here, as noise is a part of behaviour...

I'm going to be a first-time bird owner. I've done lots of research on this topic, but I thought I would ask.

I'm looking for a good apartment bird. Something quiet and pleasant-sounding and hopefully not too messy (I don't mind a mess in the cage, but I'd like it if they wouldn't throw food, feathers, and feces outside of the cage). Not too large, and I'm on a bit of a budget but have been known to totally throw that to the wind for a good buy. I definitely want something I can pick up and carry around and pet and perhaps teach words and tricks to. If there's a sort that would be perfectly at ease just sitting on my shoulder/head for hours at a time while I'm on the computer, that'd be fantastic!

I don't want parakeets, at least not like the ones PetSmart carries, as I dislike the noise and the mess is unreal (at least at my store). I'm hesitant on cockatiels as the only one I've ever met whistles very loudly. I've heard different things on diamond doves, mostly positive except for the extremely negative. Same with green-cheeks.

Birds that I've had recommended to me:

-Bourke's parrots
-Parrotlets
-Ringneck doves
-Cockatiels
-Diamond doves
-Parakeets
-Green-cheeked conures
-Canaries
-Pionus parrots
-Senegal parrots

I think the ones of that list that I am most attracted by are the diamond doves, parrotlets (especially the adorable little blue ones!), and pionus parrots, but I'm most drawn to good behaviour and low noise.

Thoughts? Additional species to consider?

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
"good behavior and low noise." That depends on the human. I have macaws and most the day they are very quiet because I don't allow the screaming. Are you sure you want a bird for the right reasons? All birds are somewhat annoying & messy. I absolutely love my cockitiels & lovebirds, that being said sometimes at 6 am they are very annoying because they start singing and chatting the minute there is light and to be honest they are messier then my 3 big birds. I don't want to discourage you but please be honest with yourself & for the birds sake why you want a bird. I rescued two nasty biting birds because someone thought they would be neat to have.

-Ringneck doves-generally pretty quiet but doves do better in pairs so you have to deal with breeding issues.
-Cockatiels-again do better in pairs
-Diamond doves
-Parakeets
-Green-cheeked conures-can be very loud-ear piercing
-Canaries-if you want a bird that can live alone in a cage this is probably your best bet.
-Pionus parrots
-Senegal parrots-this was my very first bird and yes in the end was a great bird but it took work and time.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @msplantladi, my bird, a Greater Vasa, is known for being a very quiet species, but apparently he missed the memo. When he wants to be loud, he's loud! Other than that, he's very noisy, always sounding off if something doesn't look right to him. They're even considered apartment-friendly, but it depends on the individual. My current bird is my third as I have had a budgie and a dove, and they were both messy. Granted, my current bird is FAR messier than either of those two put together. As far as good behavior, I'm not really sure what you consider 'good behavior'. Are you expecting a bird to never chew your furniture and listen to whatever you say? If that's the case, you'll be greatly disappointed. According to my bird, if he can get his mouth around it, it's chewable, even my blinds and T-shirts. He isn't misbehaving, he's doing what parrots do best: whatever they want.
You also mentioned wanting to teach your bird to talk, to my knowledge, I don't believe doves have the ability to talk, neither do canaries, but I could be wrong. My dove never uttered a word other than his natural dove coos. My bird now doesn't talk, and I don't expect him to. If he does, okay, if not, okay.
And as far as throwing food, feathers, and feces outside the cage, it comes with bird ownership. I sweep my floor 2-4 times a day, wipe down my bird's cage at least twice a day, scrape food off my walls around the clock, and change cage paper first thing in the morning and before bed. It never stops. If I feel up to it, I'll vaccuum twice a week, and hope I find the pellets and toy parts under my desk and recliner. Just follow the ant trail. That's another thing, there's no hiding food from insects that noticed it before you did.
Did I also mention that I just have ONE bird? Not only that, but he's very immobile due to disability, so I can't imagine what kind of mess I'd have if he was active. Seems like I'm always cleaning up something. Good thing I find it therapeutic. :smuggrin:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I live in a condo and have a Linnie. She's got a lot to say but most of it is pretty quiet. And there are hours when she doesn't make any noise at all. When she contact calls, she immediately stops when I answer. Her personality is just wonderful. Read about Gigi and others in the Linnie sections. I had never heard of them before but am so happy with my girl. I think Linnies are the best kept bird secret.

Also noise wise I'd agree with a Bourke and perhaps a Pionus. Although my breeder had his nephew's Pionus in his shop and he was the loudest bird there a few weeks ago.

I've had 2 canaries in the past and when we moved to a condo I only briefly considered getting one. Honestly my males sang so much of each day that I was afraid that my place is too small and I might get irritated. But I love canaries.

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
Oh, /I/ don't mind some noise, but I am an apartment dweller and cannot have a loud one. I've wanted one for years, and not just because it'd be neat to have. They make great companions. When I say quiet, I mean no screaming. I don't want to risk a macaw/cockatoo/grey (even if I could afford one) because they require much more time than I have to avoid screaming. I also find cleaning therapeutic, but to an extent. What was described above is a little too much... Sounds like a parakeet of the pet shop variety, tbh.

Doves don't talk, no, but they can be trained to fly to you on command, which is cool enough for me.

I'll look into lineolated and vasas. Ideally, I'll be going through adoption or a breeder and the personality will be known beforehand. Thanks!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll look into lineolated and vasas. Ideally, I'll be going through adoption or a breeder and the personality will be known beforehand. Thanks!
I should also mention that Vasa parrots are EXTREMELY rare. I didn't intentionally look for a Vasa when I found my bird, I was just drawn to his story. I frequently check out breeder websites just to see what's available, and I've only seen a Vasa available once, and the posting was gone after about a week. I believe they are more popular in the UK than the US. If you happen to find one, you're in for a real treat, as long as you're aware of how different, and sometimes cringe-worthy they are. It's not for the faint of heart lol

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
If the mess a budgie can make is too unreal for you, don't get any bird. All birds are going to be throwing their messes out of the cage to some extent, and the mess only gets bigger the bigger the bird.

You have a cat. Are you going to be able to keep the bird separated from her at all times? How well will you be able to keep the bird out of the enclosures of all your other animals?

Birds aren't cheap and living with them on a budget is really hard. Their vet care is expensive, their toys are expensive, their food is expensive, a decent cage is expensive. The initial cost of buying a bird is a small fraction of what you're going to be paying for them over the course of their significantly long lives.

How much space can you give your bird? They need A LOT of it. Not just the cage, either, but play areas and stations for them to fly to. Which brings the next question: Are you prepared for an animal that flies? Have you done your research on clipping and the detriments it presents to their mental and physical health and wellbeing?

Is the landlord of your apartment aware of your plans to bring home a bird? Have they approved this? Have you told your neighbors and will they be understanding towards the noise?

What happens when the bird doesn't live up to your expectations of it? Expectations are dangerous things with any animal. Birds are all individuals and many don't read the manual on how their species is meant to behave. If you want it to talk and do tricks and it doesn't, what then?

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
I am prepared for a flying pet and have no plans on clipping wings. My landlord knows I am a pet lover and has told me I can have anything I want so long as he doesn't hear complaints (the bigger apartment I'm moving to has said the same, except for venomous, so I may sadly have to rehome my baby spooders ._.). If it doesn't do tricks, I'll still be okay with it- a little disappointed, but I have fish and tarantulas, so I'm used to non-interactive pets.

As for budget, I work at a pet store and get a very decent discount. I'm also moving up the ladder at my main job and am making quite a bit more money to begin with. When I say budget, I mean I can't drop $800 to buy a bird. I have no coniptions spending money to keep a pet alive- I've spent over $300 in the past two weeks to keep my snake alive due to what appears to be a birth defect that can be life-threatening and is now hopefully cured.

Something that has recently come to my attention but there is little information on is quails- all of the info I've found talks about them being raised for poultry with passing mentions of taming. I understand that they're not bright and won't do tricks and cannot talk, but if it can be hand-tamed and handled and maybe taught to fly to me, again, that's what I want the most.

Last edited:

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Well I think parrotlets are quiet enough for apartments but they also love to misbehave. xD They're always getting themselves into trouble and chew everything including you. Mine is pretty independent and active, also kind of a Velcro bird lol. I know first and last thing sound contradictory but basically she loves perching on me but she also can keep herself busy in her cage which makes me feel better when I have to be out.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The problem with apartment birds, in my experience, is that they don't exist; not in terms of an entire species, anyway.

I live in a duplex with what may be the thinnest walls known to mankind, and I have two species that are never, ever suggested for apartments: a macaw, and a grey.
I also have two species that are highly recommended for apartments: a cockatiel and a pionus.

Guess which two are the loudest, scream the most often, and make the biggest messes of the four? :D

Your best bet is meeting individuals, and bringing home a bird whose unique personal traits mesh with your needs, not trying to find the Perfect Bird Species.

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
The problem with apartment birds, in my experience, is that they don't exist; not in terms of an entire species, anyway.

I live in a duplex with what may be the thinnest walls known to mankind, and I have two species that are never, ever suggested for apartments: a macaw, and a grey.
I also have two species that are highly recommended for apartments: a cockatiel and a pionus.

Guess which two are the loudest, scream the most often, and make the biggest messes of the four? :D

Your best bet is meeting individuals, and bringing home a bird whose unique personal traits mesh with your needs, not trying to find the Perfect Bird Species.
Sage advice. I just figured, species is a good place to start.

I'll look into parrotlets more. They are adorable, I like the mischievous, feisty attitude (will definitely keep it safe should there be momentary interaction with my cat, who is terrified of anything that doesn't run. Not that I intend to introduce them, but useful should there be a mishap), and by all accounts seem physically incapable of absurdly loud screaming.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
1 of my birds is a Senegal, she is quiet,compared to my 7 Quakers. Sweetie my Senegal, talks very low, and doesnt scream, shes a very laid back Senegal.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pionus tend to be quite most of the time but can let out some LOUD flock calls and of course when they want attention or just because. when they are happy and calm they tend to make quiet noises to themselves, sleep, eat, play with toys.
When really ticked off they do a KACK KACK KACK noise that can be loud and annoying. They can and will chew things and like to toss their food rooting around for their favorites. Like said it really depends on the bird as they all have their own personalities and one might like to mostly be quiet and another might love to scream and make a mess. I've had 4 now and each one was his own soul with wants and likes and noise levels though they tend to stay within what their species does. Nerd was mostly quiet but could let loose a jungle flock call to wake the dead BUWEEEEP! Lurch could get ticked off and Kack or scream till he finally decided he was happy here and settled down a bit. Dobby is most quiet and gentle but is a buzz saw and will chew anything that he can get in his beak. Lurch was a mad at the world used parrot and he took a long time to decide I was his friend, and he wasn't afraid to bite. Dobby never bites, Nerd bit when scared or hurt I was his life long chosen one and we spoke wild Pionus to each other, he never talked. Lurch talked a lot and sounded like a drunken pirate and kept learning new words. Dobby loves to whistle and make sound affects and talks a little. He loves to say DOBBY in my voice, good boy, and probably says a lot more then he's shown us so far. I never cared about that I just want them to be happy and feel loved.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds are messy by design. Even if you keep your bird in a cage, with a seed guard, 100% of the time, you would not contain the mess they make. I had a green cheek that would shoot poop through the cage bars onto the wall!

I've also had noise complaints on a green cheek in an apartment while I had a Hahns Macaw.

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
Like I said, I don't mind cleaning that much. It's the obscene that bothers me. I guess I think of budgies as messy because it's about a dozen at a time and I'm sure some of it is us hoomans spilling stuff... I also just do not like them for some reason.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll do more research on parrotlets and maybe ringneck doves.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I gotta be level with you. You don't strike me as a bird person, at all.
Five months ago on another pet forum, you listed birds as animals you would never have. What changed in that time?

They're loud, messy, and demanding. Even small ones. Even doves. Not at all comparable to your spiders or fish.

They're going to need a lot of daily out-of-cage and one-on-one interaction time with you. Time that is already stretched between other pets, none of which are compatible with a bird. You have a lot of animals, and, if I'm reading your introduction post correctly, you said your 1.5-year-old cat was your first, at least in this current collection? You need to slow down. You need to ensure that the care of your current menagerie is something you can really keep up with long term before you add more animals into the mix.

What's more, you said you're planning on moving to a new apartment soon. That needs to come first. Again, you need to know for sure you can even keep the animals you already have.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies leave quite a mess when they drop or poop. For a little bird they have messy poops. The expression "apartment bird" reminds me of starter bird. Neither one exist.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
I recommend a ringneck dove. I have two white ringneck doves and they are great. They aren't loud and don't make a mess. They do fling their seeds but a seed catcher can fix this. Either that or put their food dish in the middle of their cage. Something I should say. Your list of birds recommended to you.....I would say absolutely not. Here's why. Budgies are the quietest parrots. They are extremely chatty, but noise level wise, your not going to get any quieter. Parrotlets are chatty and their noises are about the same to louder than cockatiel contact calls which are the ones that are loud that I think you were referring to.

Birds thatI've had recommended to me:

Bourke's parrots- don't know much about them but they are larger than parrotlets and about budgie size so they probably aren't quieter.

Parrotlets- like I said. Their noises can hurt the ears. They are high pitched and their bites hurt like nothing I've ever experienced from any other bird. And I own a cockatoo.

Ringneck doves- sweet, quiet, don't bite, don't fling poop, chill, can go places with you easily

Cockatiels- you already said you didn't like how loud they are so.....

Diamond doves- I say they are good too. They are smaller though so they are easier to get stepped on and easier to loose. I say this because my doves like to fly random places and stand statue still. I can't find them sometimes. The white sticks out though.

Parakeets- you said you didn't like them

Green-cheeked conures- these guys are kind of messy

Canaries- are hard to tame unless you got a handfed baby and I don't think those exist.

Pionus parrots- they make loud calls. Now they don't make the calls often but neither do female cockatiels. It's just when they do make the noise, they can be loud and hurt ears. Bigger beak which means more ouch.

Senegal parrots- same as pionus.

I think the ones of that list that I am most attracted by are the diamond doves, parrotlets (especially the adorable little blue ones!), and pionus parrots, but I'm most drawn to good behaviour and low noise.

Parrotlets are naughty little birds and ALL parrots are messy. I would go with a ringneck or diamond dove. If you don't like budgie noises and mess, you shouldn't get a parrot because they all are messy. Have you thought about the life spans of parrots as well? It's long. You really don't sound like a bird person. Why do you want a parrot because if it's because they look fun/cute/EASY then I wouldn't get one. Parrots can't be let out without supervision unless in a bird proofed room. They chew up everything and the bigger the beak, the more they are able to chew up. Parrot poop splats. Dove poop rolls. Think of it like dog poop vs dog diarehia. Ew? Then don't get a parrot because 90% of owning a parrot is cleaning up after them. And you can't just leave them in a cage all day and then wonder why they don't want to interact with you when you do. And being bitten just comes with parrot ownership. Can you handle being bitten to the point of bleeding? Because it may not happen, but it also might. I have been bitten so many times and bled from my parrotlets and conures (mochi in the beginning) that I can't count it. But it doesn't deter me from interacting with them. If your potential future bird takes a chunk out of you, what will you do?

Just some things to think about. I suggest something easy and fun like doves or pigeons.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What concerns me is that you are looking for this:
I definitely want something I can pick up and carry around and pet and
perfectly at ease just sitting on my shoulder/head for hours at a time while I'm on the computer, that'd be fantastic!
That is not a bird in my opninion:) Never met a bird that is like the first quote.. second, yes possible but far from guarenteed. Henkie my lovie sometimes used to do that, now he and his mate are a hormonal mess and I am happy when they pop by me between searching for corners and feeding Each other so I can sneak Some kisses in lol. With birds, you have to be a team working together, you don’t Own then and make them behave the way you want. You communicate and work something out that works for everyone involved.