• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apache & Falcon- Sad Update Post #34

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hi every one! just a quick update on my bronze wing cutie pies. :)

Apache is nearly 3 years old now and his usual sweet self.:xflove:

He still loves my husband and myself far more than he does his new friend, but they get along well enough to share a cage and a few snugles and head scritches here and there. When apache's not being a possessive bully, they even share toys.
Only time will tell if they become as bonded as he was to his girlfriend, Cheyenne.

He's still not a hormonal monster, I know when they kick in because he struts around more than usual, is a little moody (meaning he just ignores me by turning his little feathered butt to me and struts of most of the time.:hilarious: He gets over excited about usual things so he displays more and I don't play beak restle with him as much as it tends to triger agressive body language at this time of the year.) and wants to feed me/cling to me/beg for non stop petting (wich I totally discourage) but that's about it. Still no agressive behaviour and still as predictable. That being said, he's a very mild tempered pi. He's not afraid of anything, adapts very well to change, never stays upset for more than 2min, is just as curious and adventurous as a small amazon... he's just always been an easy going bird. :hug8:As you all know, they are little indivuals and not all males (or females for that matter!) are as laid back as he is! (fair warning to those who think that pionus parrots are perfect birds, easy to live with at all times. ;))

His only downside is that he still doesn't like children. Mine or strangers, no matter how old they are. I suspect it's because he's possessive and sees them as rivals and because they're to noisy for his liking. I had to work on his agressive behaviour towards them and still do but he's much, much better now. (although I still don't trust him around them if i'm not supervising.)

Falcon is still very much a baby. Nothing like Apache! he's smaller in build and has a timid and quiet nature. I free flight train my birds and he's still hesitant to fly to me after 5 months. He wants to and tries multiple times a day but then changes his mind when it's time to land on me. :wacky: He'll step up to me, no problem, but he doesn't want to be touched. He's also afraid of anything new. It only takes a day or two to teach something new to Apache, he'll literally sleap on it and voilà! lesson learned! whereas Falcon took two weeks to simply touch a target. He takes half of that time slowly building up courage to interact in a way he's not familiar with, with an object he's not familiar with... so we take baby steps with our little feathered baby. You see, same breeder, same species, both came to us at the same age but very different individuals.

I'm confident he'll come out of his shell and become a confident adult pionus in a few years but we have to go slow, never push him and respect his timid nature. Being raised with an outgoing bird realy helps! he's definitely constantly progressing. Even if it seems insignificant to others, like contact calling us or following us around the house or just accepting to perch and feel comfortable on a chair, window sill etc. anything other than his cage and tree next to it... oh and running up to us for a treat, playing with new toys without fear because he sees Apache do it... every little progress makes us happy! :heart: I can't wait to discover his true personality hiding in there. He's still quite clumsy to. :laugh: He's adorable and we love him to bits.

I havn't got many pictures on this computer unfortunately... but I'll make up for it as soon as possible. ;)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
First, great too see you back! ♥♥♥
And that was an awesome update. I really looking forward to see more pics of them ASAP! :)
You see, same breeder, same species, both came to us at the same age but very different individuals.
And so have mine been too. And when we know that and treat them different from what they need it will always be perfect.
I consider you a very good owner/trainer that listen to your birds, thanks for that! ♥

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Thank you Eloy. :swoon: i've been gorging on your photos this morning. :loveshower: We're currently busy building a 30m2 aviary for them. We've been wanting to do that for years, it's very exciting!! it's positioned around part of our house so we can just open a big window and have them fly in and out as they please. I can't wait for it to be finished! :smileflower:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Meet Falcon and his adorable scruffy baby look. :D He's working on it! in heavy molting mode. Ok... I do make fun of him and call him an ugly duckling at times...:p but just because I know he'll turn out gorgeous once he reaches 2 years old and has his full adult colouring. :xflove:
20170502_173304-1.jpg
20170502_173258.jpg 20170502_173246-1-1.jpg
And Apache all grown up:
20170502_170126-1.jpg 20170502_170342.jpg 20170502_170453.jpg 20170502_170434.jpg
He'll always have a beak growth problem, we have to file it down every 6 months unfortunately. He banged it hard enough to damage it a bit on a window last year and that's what's causing it to grow to fast for him to naturaly keep it trimed. It's not a major issue as he does just fine with it and I know how to trim it myself so no traumatising vet visits that make him scream his pretty head of and fight like a demon.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Great update on beautiful fids :)

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I love the name Falcon. I have always said that pi's have a falcon posture and not a parrot one.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
I totally agree! especially bronze wings and white caps.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I do make fun of him and call him an ugly duckling at times...:p
So mean! :D :p (I do the same to mine but don't tell anyone..)

Great pics of them, and they are both very beautiful! ♥♥♥

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
The only thing I prefer in baby BW is their golden tipped feathers on their wings. On adults they're a darker shade of bronze. I think it's a shame! Apache used to have exactly the same colouration as falcon. (With much less pink! Cheyenne had even more way down to her breast. It greatly varies from pi to pi.)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I guess that the golden tipped feathers in a BW is like Maxis and BH red head feathers and pink chest feathers. (baby feathers)
And yes, I miss them so much.. ♥

Here is Eloys pink chest feathers: ♥♥♥ (And I have save them all!)

And her are Akelas red head feathers: ♥♥♥ (Also saved hers)

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
:heart::heart::heart: I save their feathers to. :smug: Yes BW have the red on the heads to and they're a darker greyish/greenish colour. At least they get to keep their pink and often get more of it as they age! :swoon: (not Apache though... he's a macho manly man. :p)

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Your birds are gorgeous! Love all the Pionus, but the Bronze Wings are stunning.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Thank you! I agree, they're very unique looking parrots. I think the trait I like the most about them is how easy they are to live with and fairly easy (for parrots :laugh:) to provide for.They're relatively quiet and non destructive to.

Maxi and bronze wing Pionus parrots are easy to find in France but Blue Head Pis are not. They have a special regulation, you need a permit to keep them as pets and be a licensed professional breeder to be able to breed and sell them. Because of that, they're rarer and it's a shame because they are beautiful.

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovely! It's so nice to see adult plumage too - Leia looks uncannily similar to Falcon at the moment! How old is he?