• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anything wrong with these ceres? Is it just me?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I keep thinking there is something wrong with these birds ceres, but I may be just completely off base. Does anyone else see the discoloration as a possible beginning of scaly mite, or some problem? @PoukieBear ? @Budgiebonkers ? I can't think of others to tag... maybe @faislaq and @LSA . Hopefully someone here will offer opinions. BUDGIES IN GRAPEVINE CLOSE UP CK CERES MAYBE SCALY MITE.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm not super familiar with budgies, but it's always good to ask when anything looks off. :) Hopefully they're just a bit dry?

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thanks Karen - I read where some could be deficient in Vitamin A causing some type of discoloration too... so not sure!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Looks like ceres that are being stimulated by hormones and changing appearance. Mickey has one that looks like that .

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thanks @Lady Jane , @MojoARN and @LSA ! I wondered too about if they might be coming into breeding condition. These are not my birds, but the owner was trying to rehome them, she was given the birds by someone just wanting to "get rid of them". So I doubt they have had good care, since the original owner described it like that. I was considering taking them, but I'd sooner walk broken glass than bring any type of disease to my little 2 that I love so much! Plus, I am afraid that 2 girl budgies would not work well, even in a separate cage from my male and female. I could imagine Fergus going ape over them, and Fiona not being happy about it either... Ugh.. I hate to do it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on the offer. They are in good hands at this time, as the woman is looking for a good home for them!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
These are not my birds
I thought they sure had changed! Figured either I was wrong as usual or that sure was quite a molt.:wacky:

Fergus would think he was in heaven! All those females fighting over him! :lol:

You know how seriously I take quarantine. Just check up on them regularly, please.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I thought they sure had changed! Figured either I was wrong as usual or that sure was quite a molt.:wacky:

Fergus would think he was in heaven! All those females fighting over him! :lol:

You know how seriously I take quarantine. Just check up on them regularly, please.

Ha ha - quite a molt indeed!
Oh yes, I was planning to quarantine, but now the deal is off, so Fergus will have to stay in limbo unless Fiona changes her mind and caves to his wooing her, the head bobbing little rascal!

Love that caption on your boys pic! They're so cute, even when they're fighting over the swing. :chickenswinger:

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
They look totally fine to me :) They are both female, so you're likely just seeing the cere change from imature, to a mature female cere. Or from out of breeding condition, to breeding condition. You'll see the cere turn from white/blue to a tan colour, to a dark brown colour.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
They look like hens starting to go in condition to me nothing else