• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone used this heating pad?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I haven't, but I'd like to know how it goes if you get this.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I’ve used them at work for dogs and cats, generally for puppies and kittens but also small adults. I personally haven’t used them with any of the birds though.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ve used them at work for dogs and cats, generally for puppies and kittens but also small adults. I personally haven’t used them with any of the birds though.
Do they really stay warm as long as they state? I’m wondering how well one would hold heat while outside.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Do they really stay warm as long as they state? I’m wondering how well one would hold heat while outside.
Not sure, haven't ever tested it and have never used outside. But now you've got me wondering, I've been curious as to ways to provide heat in outdoor aviaries and if these work they'd surely be a good option.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I know @Danita the owner of Things for Wings has been using it to keep her recently ill cockatoo Coco warm. She seems to like it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not sure, haven't ever tested it and have never used outside. But now you've got me wondering, I've been curious as to ways to provide heat in outdoor aviaries and if these work they'd surely be a good option.
I am hoping to get one to use for Birdie over the winter, he is not real keen on being moved each night and morning now and it is getting difficult to convince him to cooperate, it is also getting colder each day so I tried adding more foliage for him to use as a wind break but he wont sit near it at night- he thinks it is strictly for day time chewing.
I am not keen on using anything that plugs in or has a power source and if this thing does stay warm for as long as it says (outside) it would be a perfect option and I would just have to work out a platform or box type thing where I could slip the warmer in the bottom or the side.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use a Sweeter Heater for my naked man in the winter when the house gets cool. Do you have something like that you can get in Australia?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It just occurred to me, though, that you may not have power to the outdoor shed/aviary, correct?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It just occurred to me, though, that you may not have power to the outdoor shed/aviary, correct?
No power unless I run an extension lead which isn’t safe or convenient. I’m not comfortable with power but I do like the thought of the microwave heating pad

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
I use them for the kittens and puppies that I foster for our local shelter. They do hold heat for quite a while (and the individual disks hold up pretty well if you are careful and don't overheat them -- I have had mine for five years or so), but they don't radiate heat so much. The animal has to really be standing or sitting on it (or up next to it?) to benefit from the warmth. When I have kittens, I usually heat one up around 9:30 pm for them, and it is still slightly warm at around 7 in the morning -- this is indoors, usually in a cooler room, on a tile floor, so I am not sure how it would go outdoors. It comes with a cover, but I have also wrapped them in tea towels which are a little thinner; you could make your own covers or pockets to prevent unintentional burns, as they start out very hot.