• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone know where I can buy thin shelled almonds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Hi All,

I recently place a big toy order with birdtoyoutlet.com. I got the leather pouches that are filled with almonds for Jack, and I got the two smaller ones for Luca and Zoe, but they had peanuts in them. All of my birds went crazy for the almonds, but they had a thinner shell on them and almost appeared toasted? I looked on their site and you cannot buy refill packages, so I was wondering if any of you know where can buy these. All of my birds are pretty young, so when I put whole almonds in their foot toy bowl, they don't "get" it, but with these thinner shells, they were kinda already opened and the fids went crazy. Hoping someone can help!

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Not sure. I simply thin out my own shell with one of those nut pics that you can get in a shelling kit. it looks like a water pic but for nuts. very effective.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
If the shell's to hard for Danny I give it a bash with the back of a knife or hammer until it cracks.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Tracie, I got thin shelled when I bought organic almonds from Sun Organic Farm. On the page (link below) it will show that they are OUT OF STOCK, just add what you want to your basket and the order will go through.

LINK: NUTS: Sun Organic Farm

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Tracie, I got thin shelled when I bought organic almonds from Sun Organic Farm. On the page (link below) it will show that they are OUT OF STOCK, just add what you want to your basket and the order will go through.

LINK: NUTS: Sun Organic Farm
Also wanted to say that I got extra thin shelled almonds when I bought organic raw almonds right from the California growers. They can still sell them raw.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Thank you guys! I have bought from nutsonline.com and I was extremely happy. What am I doing wrong ? I have a YNA a CAG and a B & G macaw and they will play with the nuts but won't crack them? I know Jack's beak is strong enough to crack them and I think the other two should be able to too? Is it just because they are young? Luca and Zoe are about 1 yr and 1 1/2 yrs old. Jack is 5 1/2 months old. I dont' get it... I must be doing something wrong? Help?

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Thank you guys! I have bought from nutsonline.com and I was extremely happy. What am I doing wrong ? I have a YNA a CAG and a B & G macaw and they will play with the nuts but won't crack them? I know Jack's beak is strong enough to crack them and I think the other two should be able to too? Is it just because they are young? Luca and Zoe are about 1 yr and 1 1/2 yrs old. Jack is 5 1/2 months old. I dont' get it... I must be doing something wrong? Help?

It might be because they've never cracked one and associated the outer shell with the sweet, sweet surprise to be found inside... Have you tried various stages of cracking the outer shell; a. to make it easier for them, and b. so they can see/smell/taste the contents?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If the shell's to hard for Danny I give it a bash with the back of a knife or hammer until it cracks.
I am a nutcracker. Literally. Tika cracks them open with ease but Amanda can't So I do a lot of pre-cracking. :D

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
O.k. thank you both for the advice/suggestions. I am going to get some out tomorrow and give them a whack with the hammer and see if that gets the ball rolling. If you could have seen Jack's eyes when he saw these almonds I realized he doesn't have a clue what is insid the other ones I have given him. Poor baby.... I guess I am also going to be a nutcracker....lol. Right in season. I will keep you all posted

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I used to get them from Maisey Jane and was about to order more so I've asked them if they still carry - will let you know.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
mango only opens those that have been started hes cracked 1 nut in his life time,,lol mom cracks his nuts,,lol he does try when nut stealing though thats why i let him steal hopping one day he suprises us both

janejacinto

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane Jacinto
I take a nut cracker and only crack the tips off, this way they can get to the nut with no problem. Even Tommy, cockatiel, will get the almond out then.
Jane

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
tracie,
I put the post with info from a source in the foods section. I thought it would be "righter" to put it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.