• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone keep shrimp?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Enjoy them! It's always fun to watch them grown and find their moults! Very therapeutic to watch them at work too :)

Hopefully you got a mix of male and females and maybe given the right parameters they'll have babies!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you @clarousel they are very cute. Many varieties there are. I read they can breed quite easily.

I may look around today at the sister store to where I found these. Their website shows many other colors, yellow, orange even the multi color of new arrivals.

Since i just purged a closet for Goodwill, found money in some old handbags lol!

:merlieshops:I'd rather spend it on living things ;)

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Thank you @clarousel they are very cute. Many varieties there are. I read they can breed quite easily.

I may look around today at the sister store to where I found these. Their website shows many other colors, yellow, orange even the multi color of new arrivals.

Since i just purged a closet for Goodwill, found money in some old handbags lol!

:merlieshops:I'd rather spend it on living things ;)
I love that sticker! And yes I second that :roflmao:

The yellow and orange ones are pretty hardy and are 'starter' shrimp. I can't remember the names of the different species but generally the more unique the colour, the more 'advanced' care they need in terms of parameters and temperature. The blue ones you have are mid-range I think? I may be wrong.

I had golden backed shrimps:
20190903_235037.jpg
Top is female, bottom is male. She lived pretty long and the males kept dying and getting replaced in my efforts to get her preggo. I gave up eventually :wacky:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, the blues are good starter shrimp. There are other species, some very expensive! The website showed about 4 different types, not sure of the pricing.

It's a ride to get up there. But I have a few other things to do, maybe today or tomorrow.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I keep sunset neocaridas. The betta will eat any babies they might have. Depending on the personality of your betta he may also harass the adult shrimp and can injure them.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I keep sunset neocaridas. The betta will eat any babies they might have. Depending on the personality of your betta he may also harass the adult shrimp and can injure them.
I understand that some Bettas may not be very nice. Mine is very interested in them, they are too fast for him.

They have plenty of places to hide. I added one yellow. One cherry and they tossed in a baby yellow.

The yellow one is a good size and quite active. I stayed away from the larger Amano.

Thank you all for the info!

20200811_155347.jpg 20200811_173455.jpg

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I was on a mission to get another OB Zebra. My older one pre 2012 isn't doing great, but seems better. He's in a hospital tank in the tank and he's eating.

Possibly a swim bladder issue, old age. But he cannot get picked on. So until he's able if ever to swim and stay up right, he stays safe in the little place he's in.

He is also my favorite fish one of them!

20200811_181336.jpg
This is my Socolofi, pretty blue.
20200811_181313.jpg
My Male OB Peacock, a years ago Walmart rescue qs a baby.
20200811_180754.jpg
He's fast lol new OB Zebra
20200722_090336.jpg
My old OB Zebra. As young, they start out very orange. As they age, they turn a beautiful lilac color.
FB_IMG_1533496250120.jpg

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, just now seeing this thread. Such a cute shrimp. I used to have them, they are fun to watch. I now have nerite snails in my tank which are fun too. What site do you order from? AquaticArts is who I get mine from and they are amazing.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
wow, just now seeing this thread. Such a cute shrimp. I used to have them, they are fun to watch. I now have nerite snails in my tank which are fun too. What site do you order from? AquaticArts is who I get mine from and they are amazing.
I got them from a local store, actually a real nice store that is independent and has 2 stores and a 3rd one opening near the beach.

I have never ordered any fish ever.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I got them from a local store, actually a real nice store that is independent and has 2 stores and a 3rd one opening near the beach.

I have never ordered any fish ever.
Oh that's nice! Yeah I would have gotten them from a local store but there aren't many options here besides petco and petsmart and I didn't want to go that route.
Yeah this was my first time ordering. I posted about it on fb. The company I got them from was amazing, good quality fish etc. A small company with that is owner owned. Glad we both support small businesses, especially during these times!

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
I decided to go for these tiny guys for algae control and cleaning :mariecleans::sweep:after bringing home a pleco that gave my betta ick.

Super blown up, they are maybe a half inch. So tiny!

View attachment 349488
Aww I miss my shrimps! Used to have a colony of red and yellows along with ramshorn snail.

Strangely the ones that thrive in my tank are their colorless next generation. Idk why but i dont mind. They're cute

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I keep shrimp... but mostly Yellow King Kongs... and there's some 'false' amanos as well.

I'm actually in the process of trying to get a bigger tank set up... just need a few more things for the tank, then need to cycle it. But first, gotta paint the room! :laugh:

1616906358180.png