• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone here with ringneck dove and finch flock experience??

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

We have someone interested in adopting the ringneck doves we have at AHW for a large walk in aviary he has with finches... we have no clue, never had the question and we don't deal with doves much.

We have tumbler pigeons too, they came in a group of 3, and the 2 females were brutal to the male, so I said that I would not trust the tumblers with little ones, but no clue about the doves. They are very sweet and mellow, but then I'm not a bird not much bigger then their head :)

Anyone with experience or advice? My gut is just to say no, to be safe, we don't recommend other species of birds be mixed together, but thought I would ask in case ringneck doves are happy to live with everyone and anyone!!

Thank you!

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I know people keep diamond doves with finches. But those are also smaller birds. To be safe I would say no or ask the person interested if they've ever kept a larger species with a smaller species with success.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Birdbabe comes to mind cause has has doves but I don't know if she's ever kept doves and other birds. She might know of people who have and could give some advice. I know when we visited the Butterfly Conservatory in Key West, FL, they had finches but they had quail on the ground (middle video) - The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory Webcams For some reason though I think some people do keep doves as they are known to be fairly peaceful.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have tiels, an IRN, a lovebird, two doves and a pigeon, they're all out together and I've never had a problem... Maybe I'm just lucky, no one picks on anyone here. Would I recommend it? Probably not..

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Probably not a great idea. Doves need grit. Finches do not.

But I am sure sure doves would be super happy in a large aviary!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have outside ringneck doves and they are eating together with all small sparrows and finches. No problem!
But when a bigger bird enter the food place the ringneck doves chase them away. They like and accept finches and sparrows. :)

Here are some pics:

d1.jpg d2.jpg d3.jpg

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
The person who wants to purchase them can attempt it. If the birds dont get along then it would be his responsibility to find new accommodations for the doves. If his aviary is large enough it should go well.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
The person who wants to purchase them can attempt it. If the birds dont get along then it would be his responsibility to find new accommodations for the doves. If his aviary is large enough it should go well.
It's a rescue.. So not really a purchase and it is the adoption agencies responsibility to make sure it works which is why she's asking (and indicated she's leaning towards saying no)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
It's a rescue.. So not really a purchase and it is the adoption agencies responsibility to make sure it works which is why she's asking (and indicated she's leaning towards saying no)

Well put :) We are not finding a definitive yes or no, so much as we would love to see them go to a large aviary, the chance of them causing harm to the littles is not worth the risk. We have an educational group that asked about the ringnecks and tumbler pigeons because they are really sweet, so fingers crossed they will get a large aviary as well as making lots of friends and educating kids!!