• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have experience with toe amputation and how fast their birds adapted?

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has experience with toe amputation and if so how fast they adapted? Long story short, I have been going through issues with my 6 year old canary winged parakeet named Georgie that is leading to an upcoming toe amputation surgery this upcoming Tuesday (you can skip the next 5 sentences if you don't want the story). It all started March 4th or 5th (not a 100% sure when she injured herself) when she hurt her left foot. I took her to the avian vet that Monday and my bird got some anti-inflammatory medication (Meloxicam). Georgie was transferred into a plastic hospital tank I made since the vet told me to keep Georgie in a container that discouraged climbing for two weeks. Everything went smoothly until today (she was due to finish her medication tomorrow). I woke up and noticed my bird had self-mutilated her back left toe. I had immediately called the avian vet today and got her in. Since her back toe has started to necrose, my bird will now go through with a toe amputation this upcoming Tuesday. Needless to say in addition to the anti-inflammatory medication, she is now on an antibiotic. Sorry for the long story, but my question is, how long did it take your bird to adapt after a toe amputation? How was your experience with a bird that had a toe amputation?
Thank you,
Caitlyn

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi and welcome

I hope someone comes and answers your question soon

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I can't remember who has a bird with a toe amputation but I know several do. I believe that they adjust fairly quickly. But have a platform perch available to allow for easy perching.

Cat The Great

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
I can't remember who has a bird with a toe amputation but I know several do. I believe that they adjust fairly quickly. But have a platform perch available to allow for easy perching.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely make sure that she has some platform perches to make it easier for her when she is allowed back in her normal cage.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgie boy, Jujube, had to have a toe amputated. He’s fine! He perches normally. What he hated the most was having to wear his plastic funnel while he healed.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Beeper the house finch we raised lost several toes and had her foot broken. As soon as the toes fell off and the foot stopped hurting she was scampering around and climbing like nothing ever happened.

Cat The Great

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
My budgie boy, Jujube, had to have a toe amputated. He’s fine! He perches normally. What he hated the most was having to wear his plastic funnel while he healed.
Beeper the house finch we raised lost several toes and had her foot broken. As soon as the toes fell off and the foot stopped hurting she was scampering around and climbing like nothing ever happened.
Thank you for taking your time to reply! I know that my vet for Georgie said they adapt quickly, but that's great to hear that both birds adapted that fast. I am just hoping that my bird's toe amputation goes smoothly.