• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have a White eared conure and crimson bellied conure

Mazarooney

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Máz
Anyone have a white eared conure? I'd like to know their experience with this conure. Also, would you say its better in comprising to a Crimson bellied conure. I've heard crimsons are shy and less cuddly??

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If Crimson's are shy and less cuddly, think Tobias might be broken @April

I can only say that Tobias the crimson belly is about the most clingon bird I have ever had. If he's eating and I move...he started meeping and calling...I'm like, dude, I'm just getting something off the cart in the entry. He yelled at me the other day because he fell into the garbage can (empty) and I had to fish him out. He managed to play in the bowls and flipped the one upside down so he was trapped in the bowls. He swings off my butt when I sweep...tries to climb in every open spot on my clothes...slides down curtains to hang in my face...

960F60B3-1673-4421-BC81-9839A9CABF8B.jpeg 8128DFCC-8E8E-4AD9-BD2B-0BADD58F4AE8.jpeg

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Tobias is secretly the Energizer bunny.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I can only say that Tobias the crimson belly is about the most clingon bird I have ever had. If he's eating and I move...he started meeping and calling...I'm like, dude, I'm just getting something off the cart in the entry. He yelled at me the other day because he fell into the garbage can (empty) and I had to fish him out. He managed to play in the bowls and flipped the one upside down so he was trapped in the bowls. He swings off my butt when I sweep...tries to climb in every open spot on my clothes...slides down curtains to hang in my face...

View attachment 419543 View attachment 419544
D'awww!! Oh yes he's the most clingy bird I've ever had either which was the problem of course sadly.
My bathroom is literally connected to my room with him having the ability to see me if he's in his cage and still he would flip his lid the second I walked in there even though the door was open.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Crimson bellied are neither shy nor less cuddly. They have outgoing personalities and can be very clingy/ cuddly if there isn’t another bird in the home they would prefer to be with instead of you. They have their own behavior traits markedly different from some of the other conures in the pyhurra family. I raised them and still have four. They each have individual personalities and yet equal in the volumn of their calls…. Meaning they are loud and will be screamy especially if you encourage them to be clingy for your companionship. Like a two year old child that won’t quit yelling until they get what they want. :D I love mine …. They’re beautiful busy little buzzards.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

View attachment 419543 View attachment 419544
Your stories about him absolutely crack me up :roflmao: You ought to do a thread about his antics

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
White-eared conures are very rare in the US, but maybe a UK member has one? Crimson-bellieds are absolute velcro birds, extremely clingy and cuddly.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have a white eared conure. He is rather shy and definitely can’t be touched. Cuddly he isn’t either, not with us but also doesn’t cuddle up much against his toys or partner. He is laid back, doesn’t play much but enjoys fresh branches. He does enjoy preening our hair. He is 8 and I believe much of his personality is the way it is, because most of his life he has been handled with force. They made him step up with a stick he was terrified off, was kept clipped and lived in a small cage with his friend. His friend reacted to the force by becoming aggressive where he became insecure. His friend is a green cheek. I think if he were raised properly, he would be a lot better adjusted and less frightened. I would say he would benefit a lot from flight and being able to make choices. Forcing him in any way makes him shut himself off and just sit there, afraid.
I believe pyrrhura conures are all rather alike, but @webchirp would know better. I think the differences between them are more based on character then species, based off talking with people who have pyrrhura cruentata and some other rarer species.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Much like @webchirp Tobias… my Rocket is a shirt diver. He will climb into the neckline of my shirt, surf around and then hangout with his head poking out at my neck. I don’t mind as long as I’m wearing a bra. Without one I get a little concerned he may tweak something I don’t want tweaked. :cautious::D

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Much like @webchirp Tobias… my Rocket is a shirt diver. He will climb into the neckline of my shirt, surf around and then hangout with his head poking out at my neck. I don’t mind as long as I’m wearing a bra. Without one I get a little concerned he may tweak something I don’t want tweaked. :cautious::D
Yeah, I'm not in to those kinds of piercings. :rofl:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yeah I'm not into the goosing I get every now and then when he does climb my shorts...I certainly wouldn't want him goosing the top half.

@TikiMyn said, they are all just different based on personalities however, I will say Maroon bellied have very different personalities from talking to other owners. Maks is like a little, green person. He uses his human words in context too. He tells the other girls to "come'ere" when the move away from him. He gets mad a night and puffs up while using his grumpy voice..."go bye-bye". He is just very intuitive. Right now Tobias is just here, there and everywhere. He's a goober.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah I'm not into the goosing I get every now and then when he does climb my shorts...I certainly wouldn't want him goosing the top half.

@TikiMyn said, they are all just different based on personalities however, I will say Maroon bellied have very different personalities from talking to other owners. Maks is like a little, green person. He uses his human words in context too. He tells the other girls to "come'ere" when the move away from him. He gets mad a night and puffs up while using his grumpy voice..."go bye-bye". He is just very intuitive. Right now Tobias is just here, there and everywhere. He's a goober.
That’s really cool about maroon bellbirds and Maks:) He sounds like a real character:heart:My conures can do three noises and that’s it:rofl:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
That’s really cool about maroon bellbirds and Maks:) He sounds like a real character:heart:My conures can do three noises and that’s it:rofl:
And then there's Rupert... who is somewhere in between, and definitely butchers it.

What'chu want want want want
Ch'want
What do? / What do do?
What're you doin'?
Doin' doin'?
Ru-errrrr :wacky:

swimming

Checking out the neighborhood
Anyone have a white eared conure? I'd like to know their experience with this conure. Also, would you say its better in comprising to a Crimson bellied conure. I've heard crimsons are shy and less cuddly??
All birds seem to have individual personalities. We got two sibling female crimson bellied conures to keep our 18 year old green Cheek company. The crimson bellied were hand fed and we got them soon after weaning. They couldn't be more different From our green cheek. He's calm and very cuddly . I love the crimson bellied sister very much but they are so protective of Their cage that they will attack and draw blood even if you are putting their favorite treats in the cage. They are very friendly when out of the cage but definately not cuddly like our green cheek. They are much more hyperactive than our greencheek ever was. To be so closely related they couldn't be more different. They were very nippy at first but now they rarely bite unless you bravely put your hand in their cage.
They get along freat with our green cheek and he has moved into their cage.
Our crimson bellied conures are so different from what we were expecting.
They are a year and a half old and we are hoping they will mello out a bit. It's like having two puppies with wings!