• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone experiences with Indian Ringnecks and African Ringnecks interacting?

Felix_papa

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a 3 year old male Indian Ringneck named Felix and I want to get another parrot. I want to maximize the chances that my two parrots will get along so I want to get a parrot very similar to an Indian Ringneck. I have heard that African Ringnecks are fairly similar, but that they are quieter. Felix loves to scream (one of his nicknames is "scream deam") and I don't want to double the scream I have to deal with so a quieter version of Felix sounds like an ideal companion for him. However, I have not read about or seen any instances of ARNs and IRNs interacting. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone have any input on how good of a match an IRN and ARN would be?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Which country do you live in? I am only asking as African ringnecks are not common in the United States. @Monica is the only member that I am aware of who has one.

Felix_papa

Checking out the neighborhood
I live in the US in Florida. I am having difficulty finding any aviaries/pet stores that sell them, but I did see quite a few ARNs at an exotic bird fair I went to a few years ago. Maybe that bird fair had a disproportionately large number of them in which case it may be difficult for me to find an ARN in the future or maybe they are relatively common at exotic bird fairs in Florida. I'm not sure either way because I have only been to one.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
IRN's and ARN's are the same species.... and people have/are hybridizing the two subspecies together.

Personally, I wouldn't count an ARN to be quieter than an IRN... but that said, I'd be happy if my female ARN made more noise! :laugh:

Although ARN's aren't popular pets, I do know that there are hundreds, probably thousands in California! Based on the information I was able to gather on my own, mine is likely a wild caught import...

I'm not sure of any reputable breeders, though...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Monica made an important point that since ringnecked parakeets are not on CITES, some are still imported. If you are looking for a handfed baby, I would make sure that the bird is close banded, and does not have an import band.