• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone breeding the Red Siskin?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
so, recently i had someone build me an outdoor aviary!

I used to have one when i was a kid (from 8 to 19) and it seems blood is thicker then water (is that the correct saying?)

So, as a present to myself i got a pair of Red Siskins (i LOVE) their colour! Only to find out they are endangered in the wild :( so, i was wondering if anyone is breeding with them?

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There was a breeding consortium in the United States for this species, however I am unsure of how many of the breeders are still breeding this species today.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
It would be wonderful if you could aim to breed for wild release. I've got no idea who to contact about this but I hope you consider helping in this way.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It would be wonderful if you could aim to breed for wild release. I've got no idea who to contact about this but I hope you consider helping in this way.
The Netherlands is not an ideal location for breeding and release of a Venezuelan species.

Here is a link to an organisation that does do this work if you wanted to donate @simon777 : Red Siskin

The Guardian isn't the best media..at all.. but you may find the read below interesting. Many times breeding for wild release is a platform used to get hard to source birds or endangered bird... not with the best intentions in mind. There is very little success releasing birds back to their native continents when they have NO exposure to these places. Not to mention the trauma of transporting the birds. How is the ACTP going to revive the Glossy cockatoos here near Noosa? Import the birds from Germany back to Australia? -- It is a nice idea on paper, but it isn't realistic.
Australia gave endangered birds to secretive German ‘zoo’, ignoring warnings | Environment | The Guardian

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Will do, i will probably check when all four are born. The siskins are fairly tame but i dont want to disturb them too much :)

Im SO excitited! Its not like ive never had baby birds before.. we have canaries, tropical birds, cockatiels etc. But some how these siskins are so special :)