• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anybody own a Hahns Macaw...?

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
Hey guys... So the decision has come down to either an Amazon (Panama Amazon).. Or a little Hahns. The lady I am communicating with has both babies available and is VERY reputable, so no worries there.
Here's the thing, there is obviously a ton of information out there on the Hahns, and I swear I must have read all of it. What I can't seem to find specifically though is this: if there is more than one bird in the household, how does the Hahns (GENERALLY) interact with them? Are they typically friendly/accepting birds with other species and etc? Now guys I am WELL AWARE that it is an individual thing, just like with people, and that it ALWAYS 'depends on the bird', so please avoid just giving me those answers.. I get it. What I'm looking for are personal experiences and etc.
Also, I would LOVE to hear about their noise levels, as everybody's experience is different! I am by no means looking for a 'silent bird', but I am also not interested in a screaming/yelling/constantly squawking bird either. Emma my Eclectus is very quiet and we love her;)
Anyway thank you so much for reading!
Barnaby

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
My Hahns Guiseppe will "tolerate" other birds. He doesn't go out of his way to harass them but he doesn't particularly like them close to him and will make threatening gestures/posturing if they get too close.

As far as noise. He doesn't scream often but when he does it will make your ears ring. They tend to be sentry birds and there alarm calls are loud and piercing.

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
My Hahns Guiseppe will "tolerate" other birds. He doesn't go out of his way to harass them but he doesn't particularly like them close to him and will make threatening gestures/posturing if they get too close.

As far as noise. He doesn't scream often but when he does it will make your ears ring. They tend to be sentry birds and there alarm calls are loud and piercing.
Thanks for replying.. So when you say 'not often', are we talking a few times a day..? Or every hour or so or even every few days? I am just looking to get it in perspective if you know what I mean :)
I had read that as well.. I have no problem keeping my birds separate, but would love it if they could be kept in the same room (on different stands of course) 'unsupervised... Eventually....
Have you had yours since he was a baby? Was he loud as a baby? Thanks again for your help

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I have had Guiseppe since he was 9 months old. So still quite young but well beyond baby begging. It varies how much he sounds off. He frequently chatters or talks which is at a normal person talking volume. But several times a day he will scream. Sometimes just to make noise, sometimes because one of the cats look into the room (the cats can't actually get into the room), sometimes I think he sees or hears something that upsets him. I would say it probably averages 4-5 times a day for maybe 10 minutes.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Also I don't trust Guiseppe out with the other birds unsupervised. As I said if they get too close he makes threatening gestures/posturing. When this happens I redirect both birds so they are farther apart. If this were to happen unsupervised someone would likely get hurt. I did have one instance where Guiseppe got startled and landed on top of Andre's cage while Andre was sitting there and Guiseppe attacked Andre who of course defended his cage. I had to throw a towel over each of them to separate them without getting hurt. Luckily neither bird was injured but I watch them very closely now.

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
I have had Guiseppe since he was 9 months old. So still quite young but well beyond baby begging. It varies how much he sounds off. He frequently chatters or talks which is at a normal person talking volume. But several times a day he will scream. Sometimes just to make noise, sometimes because one of the cats look into the room (the cats can't actually get into the room), sometimes I think he sees or hears something that upsets him. I would say it probably averages 4-5 times a day for maybe 10 minutes.
Oh no kidding for like 10 minutes straight huh? See what's crazy is that on the VERY rare occasion Emma lets out her little 'scream'.. It is a fast quick little peep that she does once or twice over the course of a few minutes and then it is over! If I am in the living room and the door is closed I can't even hear her! Am I just spoiled and not experiencing anywhere near close to what having this little guy will be like? If Guiseppe sounds off as you are describing, and let's say you're in another room or on another floor of the house or etc, is he extremely clear and audible for the entire 10 or so minutes or is it totally tolerable? I'm so sorry for the probably pestering repetition of these questions, I am just trying so desperately to make an educated, informed and responsible decision before committing to this little guy :/

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am guessing as to how often and for how long. I work nights and sleep days and I have slept through a tornado, an earthquake, trains going by literally feet from my bedroom at one house I rented. So I can sleep through it most of the time. If I am awake I can here it downstairs with the bird room door closed. So it may actually only be 3 or 4 times a day and sometimes it is very short other times a good 10 minutes.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am trying to remember which active members own mature Hahns macaws.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Ok do a you tube search on Hahns macaw screaming. That will give you a very good idea of volume and what it sounds like. Don't get me wrong. I love Guiseppe and I would gladly get another Hahnsie if I had the time, money and space.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My Hahns is a baby and I'd say she is very accepting of all birds, but who knows how she will be as an adult.

There is a member here who told me that her Hahns is best friends with her Sun Conure. In the past I also knew another who's Hahns was best buddies with her sun conure as well - but I have no idea how typical these 2 might be.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I've had my Hahns Jimi from a baby for about 10 years.
He is a tyrant with my other birds. I used to trust him closely supervised with my Goffin but Jimi would bully and pluck him even with close supervision (ie sitting on me in front of my face) and while the Goffin didn't mind and never retaliated, I got tired of it.
He is definitely a sentry bird and seeing any deer, elk, foxes, hawks, bears, spiders, delivery trucks, etc will set off the alarm call. I actually appreciate this so have never tried to stop it but I doubt you could.
He is also very nippy as a way to communicate with me, and he does contact call a lot.
In short I would not recommend a Hahns for your wants and requirements.
I do have 2 Amazons - OWA and BFA- and I think an Amazon would be a better fit based on my experiences.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My hahns and sun conure are closely bonded to each other. BUT Mabel (my hahns) is threatening and postures at my other bird- who is a hyacinth macaw that's approx 1 billion times bigger than her. She is also bery dominant over my sun (who is super laid back and doesn't care, which is why they get along). That is pretty typical of mini macaws. They have a tendency to be scrappy, and not back down even when it's a battle they for sure can't win.

Mini macaws are also still macaws- just littler. So they are loud. I'm not bothered by the ruckus. We call them "jungle sounds." But i wouldn't recommend any species of macaw for someone that values peace and quiet.

Go to the macaw section of this forum and read the thread "the good, the bad, and the ugly about mini macaws." It is stickied at the top of the page. All the species of mini macaws are incredibly closely related, so much so that Nobles and Hahns aren't even technically considered different species (they're both scientifically classified as subspecies of red shouldered macaws). The mini mac species are so closely related that info you read about other minis will also likely apply to a hahns. That thread is a wealth of info. I highly recommend you read it

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
My hahns and sun conure are closely bonded to each other. BUT Mabel (my hahns) is threatening and postures at my other bird- who is a hyacinth macaw that's approx 1 billion times bigger than her. She is also bery dominant over my sun (who is super laid back and doesn't care, which is why they get along). That is pretty typical of mini macaws. They have a tendency to be scrappy, and not back down even when it's a battle they for sure can't win.

Mini macaws are also still macaws- just littler. So they are loud. I'm not bothered by the ruckus. We call them "jungle sounds." But i wouldn't recommend any species of macaw for someone that values peace and quiet.

Go to the macaw section of this forum and read the thread "the good, the bad, and the ugly about mini macaws." It is stickied at the top of the page. All the species of mini macaws are incredibly closely related, so much so that Nobles and Hahns aren't even technically considered different species (they're both scientifically classified as subspecies of red shouldered macaws). The mini mac species are so closely related that info you read about other minis will also likely apply to a hahns. That thread is a wealth of info. I highly recommend you read it

Yeah I totally get what you're saying... I am curious though, do you think that it would be any different considering that I would only have the two birds, one being very very quiet and calm and NOT noisy.. Do you think it may keep the ambient level of noise the Hahns makes down at all? Or do you think that Regardless of that it will still be a very loud bird? I did read that post you mentioned, it is very informative. However from what I am ready EVERYBODY has different experiences.. Some literally say their Hahns is the quietest calmest bird they have ever had, others quite the opposite. Guess the only way to find out is to jump in head first huh ;)

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think you're right, everybody's experience is different. Right now, I think my Hahns is a quiet bird, but she is only 4 months old. I also think my adult sun conure & 1 year old Jenday are quiet birds too - yet if you speak to others about these species, they will say the exact opposite.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
A lot has to do with your noise tolerance and frequency/pitch tolerance. My Hahns vocalizations don't really bother me much unless I am close to him when he sounds off. I really truly recommend that you listen to you tube videos of Hahns screaming and turn up the volume. This will give you a feel for the sound. How often they sound off will very greatly by bird.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think a large part of it is your personal tolerance. My hahns is by far the quietest bird I own. She seems downright silent and I'm not bothered by her vocalizations at all. BUT I live with a big mac. So a jumbo jet wouldn't seem all that noisy to me either. My hahns, who I think of as my quiet bird, might feel very loud to another household.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My Hahns is my noisiest bird and I have a Goffin 'too, 2 Amazons, a BlueCrown Conure and a budgie.
He is persistantly noisy too, and he does have some words and special whistles we converse and contact call with.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Like alcmene says, individual noise tolerance will have a lot to do with how this pans out.

@Barnaby Rose. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Merlie Don't you have some Hansies?