• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anybody know what this is?

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hey,
I was getting Nuka out the caget when I noticed this. At first I thought maybe a blood feather but it's really black.

20200123_104017.jpg

Thanks ^^

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Hmm I’m not sure? I would think it would be a pinnie but not sure. Hopefully someone who knows will answer shortly.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gosh, I'm not sure either. But it sure shows against your baby's light feathers. Does it seem sensitive?

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Immature feathers are called pin feathers or blood feathers because they are still living tissue. Because they are growing so fast, pin feathers contain a great deal of blood, which gives them their dark, bluish color.

Feather grows requires a constant blood level of nutrients. If a baby parrot is off feed for even a half day during the time its feathers are forming - you will see a "stress bar" (fault bar or fault line) on the feathers that were most actively growing at the time. Improper temperature and other stressors can also lead to this problem. Direction of stress bar can go length wise or across feather.

This is a little line across the feather - as if it had been scored, marked or cut with a scissors at that point. The area of the stress bar is weak, translucent and easily torn. When multiple bars form, each bar represents a period of stress. It is quite difficult to hand raise baby parrots without a few stress bars forming. In subsequent natural molts, normal feathers will replace them. But when they occur in mature birds, they are warning bars. An avian veterinarian needs to be consulted to determine the underlying cause.
That's what I can come up with from my wife's Merck manual of vet medicine.

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could re-post in Healthy Highway to get some more answers. Our Linnie section is so quiet.

It seems that it's a blood feather, but I have never seen a dark one on my Linnie, just pin feathers that are covered with a white sheath. Back when I was able to remove the sheaths, under was a normal green feather.