• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anybody have a hornbill?

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
7692074350_02ecf426f0_z.jpg Somebody near me will be selling red billed hornbills. How loud are they? Cuddly? Aggresive? Can they be harness trained? I know they need low iron softball diet, fruits, insects etc. What should I know?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know they will eat small animals, lizards, and nestling birds in the wild! No idea about them as pets

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This is my only exposure to them. She has several videos about her story with Grinchy. I hope it helps you get an idea.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Now a shoebill stork would be soooo cool to train to stand at my front door to scare the baggibees out of people! But I think they will swallow small unattended children, is that a problem?
sherri

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Not cuddly, not a bird to keep in a cage or harness train. They need a dedicated environment, like a flight with massive floor space, and appropriate planting for enrichment.

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Now a shoebill stork would be soooo cool to train to stand at my front door to scare the baggibees out of people! But I think they will swallow small unattended children, is that a problem?
sherri
That sounds great!! Where do I get one?!