• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any Yellow-Shoulder parronts still around?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Before I brought home Opie I read the sticky thread that mentioned yellow shoulders, but none of the people in that thread seem to be around any more :(

I know they are relatively rare. It's still a bit crazy how wildly the information on them varies.

Just population facts on wikipedia and parrots.org

"They are VERY aggressive" and "They have poor talking ability" per petplace (probably not a real reliable source though)

"They are the tamest/friendliest" and "They are amazing talkers" per this article from AFA (more reliable, but almost impossibly flattering for the species)

Per my experience so far (admittedly only 2+ weeks of YSA companionship): Opie is tolerant (only bit me once) but very shy, hates being touched, not that active (he climbs less than Oggie), and only makes one quiet hiccupping noise. All of which contradict BOTH petplace and the AFA article :roflmao:

I know every bird is it's own bird anyway, just wondering if any other YSA people still hang around to bounce stories off of.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, I am not sure of any other owners who still post.

Imp_Bot

Checking out the neighborhood
I’m smitten with YSA…but there is so little information on them (which may be why I am smitten…they are so mysterious!)! So, at least you know someone else is YSA curious…

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Very little! I really want to get Opie DNA tested because I almost suspect "he" may not be a he at all.. but I'm not putting him through that until he has to go in for a checkup anyway.

I'll have to slightly amend my previous observations. He is still remarkably quiet, clean, mellow, and polite. But it turns out he does not always hate being touched - he will not allow me to try it but he loves scritches and shoulder rides from my boyfriend.

He is is incredibly gentle, with my boyfriend. But very clear in his warnings to ME to back off if I misstep.
He still does not talk or make much noise at all, but apparently likes to secretly laugh when no one can see him do it.

Considering he put a bloody slice in my hand when I visited him at the rescue, he has unexpectedly been a really wonderful parrot and I'm so curious about how much he does or doesn't match up against other YSA.. guess I will never know!!

Edit: funny that your profile image is a BH pionus though, because *I* am smitten with them. Tried forever to get one before I brought Opie home instead. Didn't even know how special he was when I picked him.