• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any way to safely heat up a room with birds in it?

WiseBudgie

Meeting neighbors
My brother would like to know if there are any ways to heat up his room without harming his birds because he doesn’t like how cold his room gets in the winter. He considered buying either bird lamps or getting a safe space heater for his room, but we’re unsure what’s safe and what’s unsafe for our birds as we know heaters can be coated with toxic chemicals such as Teflon. Any safe heater recommendations?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Oil-filled radiators are generally safe to use around birds. They shouldn't put out any harmful fumes and they shouldn't get dangerously hot.

They look like this:

download.jpeg

The coils are filled with oil which is heated by an internal electrical element to provide gentle, even radiant heat.

If the heater is brand new, run it for a few hours at high temp in a well ventilated space away from birds to burn off any residue left over from manufacturing. If you notice any strange odors, keep the heater away from your birds. The heater should be odor-free.

Be aware, fire risk is low for this type of heater, but all electrical appliances carry a risk of malfunctioning. Be sure to follow all safety guidance and recommended maintenance. Never set anything on top of or against the heater. If you see or smell smoke, or hot plastic, turn it off, remove it from the room if you can and get your birds to an area with clean air. This goes for all appliances, not just space heaters.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I use the oil filled radiators in one of my bird rooms and have for years. Two brand names - Delongi and Pelonis. My spelling might be off on those- freakin phone wants to correct everything!

WiseBudgie

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! What are some good oil-filled heater suggestions, preferably around the 50$ range? I totally relate to my phone always wanting to correct names as well lol

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks! What are some good oil-filled heater suggestions, preferably around the 50$ range? I totally relate to my phone always wanting to correct names as well lol
Delongi and Pelonis are two brand names I bought mine at either Walmart or Home Depot. They are usually under 50 bucks

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I used same style heater and still do. Its a lifesaver when the outdoor temps are really cold. They are electric. The only safety issue i found is the metal get hot when running.

Coop

Meeting neighbors
I have used those oil filled heaters in my outdoor aviary with my finches and canaries. No problems at all as far as fumes. Mine can get uncomfortably hot to the touch, if any of your birds roam free in that room. If so, I would get a bigger one than you need for the space, and keep the temperature control on one of the lower settings. As far as the brand, research user reviews--I don't remember which brand it was, but when I was looking to buy, there was one that had multiple reports of electrical problems that could cause a fire. The other solution would be to just warm up the brother, not the room, like with a down or wool comforter on the bed.
(Laughing) I personally like an old style heating pad wrapped in a towel under my feet for awhile when I read in bed before sleeping. Once my feet are warm, all the rest of me is warm, and I can turn it off.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
How long does it take to burn off any manufacturing residue? Even after running mine on high for several hrs - it still has a faint smell. It is a "Comfort Zone" from Home Depot.