• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any way I can help my bird figure out how to do "foothand"?

erraticgh0st

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eli
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong thread. So you know the cute things birds do where they pick something up with their foot and hold it like a person and eat it? It's adorable. My cockatiel is trying so hard to hold things like that and she's just not getting it. She realizes she can hold things but loses her balance. Is there anything I can do to help her hone this skill? I know she'd benefit from it and wanna help her get there

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
sometimes thier legs are too short for their body, and they can't get it up to their mouth. Usually depends on the size of the bird. I don't own cockatiels so I don't know. maybe if you want to try a trick, you can try fetch maybe. My bird knows reverse fetch (she throws and I receive), but here is a tutorial for one with a cockatiel.

mak

In general cockatiels do not eat like this as their legs are positioned a bit farther back than other parrots. They will on occasion use their feet to hold something steady so they can eat it better.
I also think it's really cute when birds do this (check out @itzmered siggy!) but please don't expect it from a bird for whom it is not realistic physiologically.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you posted in the right spot! :heart:
That's not typical cockatiel behavior. Mine pecked at their food but seldom used their feet. But maybe if your girl is motivated, experiment with different sizes of treats that might work for her foot size.

My little Linnie does it and I read that they are one of the smallest parrots that eat using their feet like the big boys. She picks up an apple piece or Nutri-berry and carries it to the highest perch where she holds it up with her foot and eats away. She drops it and does it all over again because apparently it tastes better up there.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

erraticgh0st

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eli
In general cockatiels do not eat like this as their legs are positioned a bit farther back than other parrots. They will on occasion use their feet to hold something steady so they can eat it better.
I also think it's really cute when birds do this (check out @itzmered siggy!) but please don't expect it from a bird for whom it is not realistic physiologically.
today I learned about their legs, for some reason I actually didn't know that. that explains why she hasnt figured it out. i see her trying to hold her food and eat it like that, she has improvised by picking it up in her beak and bringing it over to a specific corner in her cage to eat. thanks for the response!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The most my budgie does with his feet is holding a hanging broccoli stem so he doesn’t fall off his perch to eat it and the stem doesn’t swing away from him. He only uses his feet to balance whereas my macaw uses his feet to pick things up and hold things to eat or chew them.