• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any training tips for hesitant cockatiels?

WiseBudgie

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I have two male cockatiels, Lenny and Lucy. Recently, I’ve been trying to work with them more and training them, but I’ll admit I’m not the best at doing so. What I want to someday be able to do is have my cockatiels allow me petting them and have them step onto my fingers without hesitation or millet.

The problem is, they tend to back away and hesitate whenever I offer my fingers for them to step up to or even when I get my hands close to them. If I try petting them, they hiss and run off. How can I get them to stop being so untrusting of my hands? They’re fine with eating seeds from my palm, but I have to bribe them with millet to get closer to my hand when I set it down. I do understand I need to take baby steps, but I’m unsure of how to take these steps.

I don’t know if this makes a difference, but they do prefer training together. If I separate them for training, they’ll start calling out for each other and being totally distracted. Not to mention that Lenny is like a leader for Lucy, and whenever Lucy sees Lenny doing something, he’ll feel comfortable doing it too, like how I was able to teach both of them to kiss just by Lucy watching me teach Lenny.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
@Tiel Feathers?
*watching this thread-My Rocky boy is exactly the same*

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The only way is to reward them with millet or their favorite treat when they come near your hands, and save their favorite treat just for training. I wouldn’t even try to pet them until they are more comfortable with your hands, and many tiels will never accept scratches, but you can still have an amazing relationship regardless. Make sure you never force them to do anything, watch their body language, and do everything you can to make them think of your hands positively. I had a cockatiel, Twilight, who disliked hands and skin of any sort. I did teach him to step up onto my clothed arm, however. He loved to sit on me while I talked to him, and we had an amazing bond. I have another cockatiel who only likes to step up onto the back of my hand. Every bird has their own little quirks, so try different things. I feel that using a finger to step up on is more awkward for them than the back of your hand.

To teach them to get on your hand or arm, say “step up.” When they get close say “good,” and reward with just a very small piece of millet. Repeat this until your bird gets bored, which might be in just a few minutes. At first you’re just getting them used to training and understanding that “good” means reward. Alternatively you can use a clicker or the click of a ball point pen. Do this a few times throughout the day, but try to make it when they are more hungry or active. Eventually your bird will get closer to your hand or arm, and then eventually on to you. Keep this up and in a while, which could be weeks or months, your birds should get the step up command. Keep it consistent though, and always do it the same way. After they get the step up command down, you should be Blu have to reward once in a while. It might be more difficult with both, but maybe you can focus on one and then the other while they are both out. Other training can also strengthen your bond, like target training. Good luck!