• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any tips?

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I’m trying to teach my budgies their names, but I am a little worried about incorrect word association. For example, if I say my bird’s name, Blinky, then give him a treat, will he learn that “Blinky” means treat? Or is there another way to teach him his name?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You can just repeat over and over and they will hopefully begin learn their names.

@Ripshod

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
The best way to get them to learn something is repetition. I would maybe stop with the I love you, and focus on there names for a bit. If they start to react to their names, you still will need to carry on repeating, just not as often. It is at this time you can start adding in new words and phrases, such as I love you...

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Kiwi leaned his name, and responds when I say it, but blizzard has not leaned her name, so it will probably be harder for you to teach your budgies their names (2 budgies = harder)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
As has already been explained repetition is key. The other thing necessary is the budgie needs to be predisposed to mimic - you can try as much as you want, they may never say anything. The odds are against you.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
In my experience, I find that using their names in everyday conversation helps them associate the word with themselves. I'll use my birds' names in many different sentences ("how are you, Taco?", "would you like a treat, Kamara?", "wanna come out, Kraz?") rather than just in specific circumstances. They learn to associate the word "treat" with a snack because it's always used in correlation, whereas their names are used regularly when speaking with them.

My flock has also learned each others' names through this method, and my CAG correctly refers to my macaw and 'tiel (and my dog) by their names. Usually to tell them off. :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I ask and say things like- is Burt a good boy, does Burt want to come out, what’s Burt doing, come here Burt, does Burt want a tickle, can Burt go to the stand, does Burt want to give mum a kiss, can Burt leave my hair alone, Burt needs to get out of there- that sort of thing.
He knows his name for sure but has never said it even though he says mum, where’s Frankie, Frankie come here, wanna give me a kiss, I love you, wanna tickle, no get out of it, that’s mine, give it back.... the list is huge and some things he hears probably a 100 times a day but doesn’t say and others he might hear every few days and says it a lot. I don’t think it’s only the repetition that gets them interested in mimicking certain words, I think sometimes they just take a shining to the sound of a certain word and then they copy it.