• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

any tips on treats?

Marie Hugh

Moving in
Real Name
Marie
Ever since I got my cockatiel, she’s been trained on millet. She has learned multiple tricks and active recall with millet as the reward. As we practice active recall and learn other tricks, I can tell she isn’t motivated by it. I also believe that she’s more motivated by a new seed mix I recently mixed in to her food. Should I try to use that? Is it effective if she has to eat out of my hand every time? Also, I cant exactly hold it up like millet if it’s in my hand. Should I make that her reward and take it out of her diet? Also, if anyone has tips on getting her to try new food. She used to be a very exotic eater and now she isn’t. I still introduce it the same way, same process. Almost like she knows what flavors she does and doesn’t like now. And if anyone has other recommendations of treats I can be using let me know.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Mine looks at any food going into my mouth as a treat (unless it’s healthy :roflmao: )

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Spray Millet, Safflower Seeds, fruit, Popcorn (Nothing on it), Birdie Bread, or you can order treats from Avian Organics :D

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Mine are millet sunflower seeds and nutiberries are treats for tricks :heart: