• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

any tips for befriending a bird i work with?

kyandfriends

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ky M.
hi everyone! i just started working at a facility that boards parrots, and one bird, alex, actually lives there. she's a lovely little alexandrine parakeet who generally prefers men. i would like for her to be easy to work with - and honestly i'm pretty smitten with her, too - so i'm going to start giving her a little snack or toy whenever i walk by her cage. and of course i will respect her space, her things, etc. my question is whether there is anything else i can do that would make my lady-presence as un-stressful as possible for her, and also whether there are any foods or toys that are popular with alexandrines. thanks a bunch :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
try this in your pocket, carry a little snack size zip lock with her favorite treats. every time you walk by her cage say her name, put a treat in her dish. she'll get the idea that you are her friend.

kyandfriends

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ky M.
rocky'smom, thanks - that's the plan! apparently she's pretty finicky about her snacks, but i gave her a few apple chunks today and she loooved them. she even pinned her eyes at me, just a little. alex is also a prolific shredder, so maybe i'll throw together a few shreddable foot toys over the weekend since she mostly just has newspaper to rip.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
In addition to treats, if you can just sit next her cage and read aloud to her, she would love it. Reading is good because it keeps your eyes off her so it's not as threatening. It's nice she has a new friend!

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Also maybe try saying hello and goodbye when you leave and come back? I do that with my babies and tell them when I come back. :)