• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any suggestions on bird food and pellets?

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
Hi, I'm looking for a safer brand of bird seed then I'm currently feeding my budgie i also need pellets I'm looking at the brand Roudybush for pellets and lafebers gourmet pellets I don't have an idea on seeds yet my current brand is parakeet food alimento 3-d para pericos and I don't like the dye's and I found sunflower seeds in it and panicked, so I'm constantly shifting through it picking them out
it angers me how they can sell things for birds and not even get it healthy or right. Anyway, any suggestions? but also id' love to know if the brands above are safe and healthy thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can your budgie open the sunflower seeds? Just asking because mine can’t so I don’t actually stress about them being there ;)
Both my birds really loved Roudybush pellets but I have such a hard time getting them all the time so I switched brands- I like Roudybush so much that if I manage to find a supplier who never runs out of them I’ll start feeding them again.

I can’t help with opinions on the other brands as I haven’t used them.

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
Can your budgie open the sunflower seeds? Just asking because mine can’t so I don’t actually stress about them being there ;)
Both my birds really loved Roudybush pellets but I have such a hard time getting them all the time so I switched brands- I like Roudybush so much that if I manage to find a supplier who never runs out of them I’ll start feeding them again.

I can’t help with opinions on the other brands as I haven’t used them.
Honestly, I'm not sure I've just heard from other sources that sunflower seeds are okay for teils for a snack but they can kill a budgie i don't want to take the chance, but she probably could she's pretty strong for a little thing but maybe not?
I'll take the Roudybush thing into account it's actually good to know people go out of stock of them because i wanna try keeping the same seed brand and not switching her constantly.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sunflower seeds are fattening and most of our pet/companion birds don’t get enough exercise to need foods so high in fats and as a result they end up with fatty liver disease. A sunflower seed here or there is not going to kill your budgie, a good diet is obviously preferable to a poor diet filled with fatty seeds which is why we feed pellets and fresh foods too. Maybe try sprouting your sunflower seeds and offering them that way which is much healthier for your little guy.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use Harrison's pellets. My budgies just started eating them and they really like them.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
Another happy Harrisons user here. It's 100% organic, no preservatives or dyes, and the buds are thriving on it.

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
Another happy Harrisons user here. It's 100% organic, no preservatives or dyes, and the buds are thriving on it.
What size or type problen with harisons is i cant figure out besides small what in looking for.

Pebi

Moving in
I use Harrisons pellets too. The size I get is super fine.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
What size or type problen with harisons is i cant figure out besides small what in looking for.
I get the adult life time food. The bag I have now is "Fine" but it's a little too big for my budgies. "Super fine" would be better for them.

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
I get the adult life time food. The bag I have now is "Fine" but it's a little too big for my budgies. "Super fine" would be better for them.
Worst case i was just gonna throw them into my copper thing i plan to anyway just a tiny bit cause it's just pellets and I'm afraid if it's not mixed in well she's gonna just refuse it she's picky.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Does anyone know if Harrison's superfine is available in larger sized bags?

The only size I am able to find in stores or on-line are tiny little 1lb bags. I have a sizeable flock of parakeets, finches, and quail so they can go through a 1lb bag in no time at all. At roughly $10 each, that is just too much, even though I like this brand. Harrison's Fine is available in 5lb bags for around $30, which brings the price down to $6/lb, but that is still twice as much as similar good-quality pellets available in larger bags, like Roudybush or Lafeber, and the bigger pellets are not appreciated by my budgies and finches.

I think I will need to find a different brand. :(

Aves

Does anyone know if Harrison's superfine is available in larger sized bags?

The only size I am able to find in stores or on-line are tiny little 1lb bags. I have a sizeable flock of parakeets, finches, and quail so they can go through a 1lb bag in no time at all. At roughly $10 each, that is just too much, even though I like this brand. Harrison's Fine is available in 5lb bags for around $30, which brings the price down to $6/lb, but that is still twice as much as similar good-quality pellets available in larger bags, like Roudybush or Lafeber, and the bigger pellets are not appreciated by my budgies and finches.

I think I will need to find a different brand. :(
I found a 3lb bag, but that's the biggest I could find for superfine.

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
Worst case i was just gonna throw them into my copper thing i plan to anyway just a tiny bit cause it's just pellets and I'm afraid if it's not mixed in well she's gonna just refuse it she's picky.
You can probably get a chopper of sorts i forgot its name and chop them smaller. If that helps. Just not so small u get powder but i havent tried it yet.