• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any recommendations for nets?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Our cockatiel should be flying soon, and considering how clumsy he is, he'll need a safe place to practice. So we want to get nets and maybe some other things. Deos anyone have any recommendations(at a reasonable price) for our little fella.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What do you mean when you say nets?

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Screenshot_20220707-204221_Samsung Internet.jpg Like a play net

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Or maybe some chemical free cotton rope so I can make a net? I don't like how some nets have a lot of little gaps in the edges where my birds could get stuck.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Are you looking to establish dedicated safe places for him to land?

If so, that can be a long list of things: boings, orbits, play stands... their cage.

When starting out, he may land on your countertop/table/sofa or other large solid-looking surface before he has the precision control to land on smaller spots.

One of mine still prefers to land on me if he has a choice in the matter.

(be mindful of windows and window coverings, doors, sinks, toilets during this process)

... oh yeah, for nets, I really like Aronico, but I wouldn't consider them cheap (although they'll last a lifetime with your little ones).

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can not say I have seen a cargo net with gaps in the edges small enough for a bird to get stuck, only ever seen them with squares way large enough for even big headed Burt to get through. Macawnutz makes some really lovely natural rope nets and atoms, maybe check out her store.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had wonderful luck with the nets and rope highways from Oliver's garden by our own Susan @Susan and Oliver. Her products are amazing I can't recommend them enough.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I can not say I have seen a cargo net with gaps in the edges small enough for a bird to get stuck, only ever seen them with squares way large enough for even big headed Burt to get through. Macawnutz makes some really lovely natural rope nets and atoms, maybe check out her store.
Here is what I mean by gaps, I can't really properly judge though since it's just a picture.
20220707_214422.jpg
I'll check out all the recommendations, thank you everyone!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Here is what I mean by gaps, I can't really properly judge though since it's just a picture.
View attachment 409900
I'll check out all the recommendations, thank you everyone!
Yeah ok, I would definitely stay away from those nets. I purchased some toys the other day that were supposed to be for large birds but they are so dangerous that I have to undo them and use the parts to reconstruct actual safe toys- always go with safety over price. Maybe just buy some sisal rope and make your own, your bird is a little one so the knots wont need to be anywhere near as tough as for the larger birds.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Yeah ok, I would definitely stay away from those nets. I purchased some toys the other day that were supposed to be for large birds but they are so dangerous that I have to undo them and use the parts to reconstruct actual safe toys- always go with safety over price. Maybe just buy some sisal rope and make your own, your bird is a little one so the knots wont need to be anywhere near as tough as for the larger birds.
That sounds like an awesome idea! I would be able to get alot more nets by making them. I'll be on the hunt for sisal rope then :) deos anyone know what diameter I should go with?

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Another option are the seagrass mats. Lots of people use them as nets. You can also use zip ties to connect them together to make a larger size.
Here are some:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Having made a net with sisal in the past I will never do it again LOL. 100 feet goes by SUPER quick after you add the knots! And Sisal is murder on the hands!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Having made a net with sisal in the past I will never do it again LOL. 100 feet goes by SUPER quick after you add the knots! And Sisal is murder on the hands!
I hate working with sisal. I always end up with sisal splinters

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'll wear gloves, and even though I'll use alot of rope, it's still affordable :)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Check out online reptile shops for nets theres a big selection usually.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are these large, plastic loops that I often see on toys that you could use to stick seagrass mats together. They look like giant, plastic capital Cs.