• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any one know how to inhibit Papilloma growth?

charlielove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
My GW has a disease it's a form of bird herpes. The inside of her body is loaded with papillomas, especially in her clocial(butt) and throat region. In fact, you can see them protruding from her bottom if you flip her over and look and even when she opens her mouth, wide enough, you see them in her throat to. They are very red in color. Ive had her 5 years. I got her as a rescue bird. She came with the disease. Her past is unknown at best. She is seen by my avian vet 2xs per year sometimes more. This year the vet has seen her 3xs and she is due to go back for a follow-up soon. I guess my question is does any one else have experience with this? I heard the ingredient in hot peppers helps inhibit the growth and spread of the papillomas inside her body as well as stress. As long as stress is kept to a miniumn no growth. Im just looking for people who've dealt with this and have any advice. Thanks!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
So sorry, but I have had no experience with papillomas in birds. Have you researched on the internet? Sometimes you can find relevant articles.

Thank you for taking in this guy.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That was a good write up on papillomas. I wonder if low heat laser therapy (like Korbel had) might be helpful for papillomas. Especially those internal to the bird. They are certainly finding more and more effective uses for laser therapy.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am sorry your bird is afflicted with this disease. I also thank you for taking on a bird with a known problem. A pet with a chronic condition is always heartbreaking to deal with, but they also need love and care and a home.

Sending warm fuzzy hugs and healing energies your way.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
A friend of mine had a bird with papillomas and she fed the pepper harrison's. apparantly it helps suppress symptoms of the virus. She also did something with cayenne pepper and aloe detox as well. I will ask her for advice. Her bird had internal lesions and she fought it for a couple of years and did so much research.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im just looking for people who've dealt with this and have any advice. Thanks!
Dr. Melissa Shelton has experience treating a GW. The links (below) may be helpful.
Her website states:
Dr. Shelton is presently focusing on teaching, researching and writing so at this time she is not providing individual veterinary consultations. If you have a question regarding classes or educational materials feel free to contact her staff via email. If you can reach her through email she may be able to offer assistance. I think she may also have a facebook page.

http://www.oilyvet.com/uploads/26-2010_Emmett_s_Story_-_Essential_Oils_and_Birds.pdf

EMMETT'S STORY:papillomatosis since... - Young Living in the Sierras | Facebook

Emmett the Parrot is Healed with Essential Oils | Pet Video

charlielove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
No need to thank me for taking her in I love my Charlie! But I do want to Thank EVERY ONE for their advice. I always wanted a Green Wing Macaw. It was my dream to have one. I jumped from a Sun Conure who is still with us and the cutest thing ever 7years old now to a Green Wing Macaw. Charlie is my world! She's my partner every where we go even sneaking her into Home Depot and Kmart:embarassed: until checkout then every body knows lol. What are they going to do throw us out? lol fine Ill go 5 miles down the road.
Ill always fight for her and max out as many cards as possible to help her out when I run out of funds lol! I heard a quote from a movie called "Seabiscuit". It goes, "You don't throw a life away just because he's banged up a little." I've never forgotten that saying and it pertains to my Charlie. I have done much research - The laser surgery Ive asked about but internally my vet says it's impossible but it's worth asking about again. As for the hot peppers, I give her jalpenos as often as she'll eat them. It's that ingredient that causes the hotness I read was suppose to help "control" growth but not stop them. I also do a few herbal supplement as well as daily water soluble vitamins to keep her health high besides I have her on a mix of roudybush and hot pepper harrisons as well as harrisons hot pepper birdy bread. Karen - Thank you. Im very interested in your reply. Im going to look into the articles you posted after this I post this reply. Thank you every one for taking the time to input on this:hug8:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

charlielove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Karen I ordered the book. I'm excited for this! Maybe I can finally get my bird help instead of constantly having to shove medication down her throat.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm excited for you as well Katie. I like using Essential Oils for their healing properties. I have a bird that is very difficult to medicate and I am able to easily diffuse or spray EO's that ease his pain.

For pain I use a combination of Frankinsense, Helichrysum and Copaiba
For anti-bacterial and anti-fungal I use Thieves
For a good mood, I diffuse Joy or Peace and Calming. The favorite for an over all peace and calm is; 20 drops Orange, 20 drops Lemon and 20 drops Lavender, distilled water in a 4 oz. glass spray bottle
For being brave while at the vet I use Valor...sometimes I give some to the birds too :p
We just got back from vacation with the 2 big Macs and while traveling I diffused Purification to safely clean the air in the Motel rooms and the vacation house.

charlielove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Im going to order some Thieves as well. I can't wait to try this fingers crossed I hope it works. Charlie is very difficult to medicate as well because she's had so much med since I've had her to combat the bacteria produced within the papilloma growths (pap growths are like cauliflower "shaped" my vet said and within each hold so much bacteria) its disgusting really. They let you take your Macaws into motel rooms? Thats neat. I had to sneak Charlie in one time:shh: because the first place told me no so the next one I didn't even bother to ask it was late, we were tired, i just snuck her in. Don't ask how lol I felt like an animal smuggler. To clarify I am not.