• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any one drive?

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I just got my pony Snooker back from the trainer's. My cheap untrained craigslist pony is now a good productive citizen as a driving pony. :heart: And she seems to enjoy it.

I am really just starting out in driving but love it. Anyone else drive? IMG_20141102_151957.jpg IMG_20141102_151151.jpg IMG_20141102_151853.jpg IMG_20141102_150757.jpg

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Never have but always wanted to. One of the farms by my trainers was big I to it and it seemed like a blast. Cute pony you got there :heart:

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Looks like a lot of fun!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
That's awesome! I did the exact same thing with my pony, Gulliver!
I grew up with Standardbreds and sulkies :)

QBird

Jogging around the block
Nice!

I use to drive a 6 dog sled team....does that count?
wow that would be cool :)

I only drive horses, we used to break them to sulkies first as most of them were trotters or as we call them Cobs (Americans seem to call them Vanners). Since then I took on endurance riding instead. Then had two kids and gave away my last horse :(

QBird

Jogging around the block

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Thanks! We just need this weather to clear up so we can go out more.

Macawpower - driving the dogs sounds awesome!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I drove carriage, sleigh and two horse wagons. Draft horses. I've driven a few pony carts ( little pony ) :laugh: .

I don't miss driving. The harnesses are heavier than I am and I always felt it was a ton of work. We did many weddings and the brides always complained about something. :rofl: Mostly poop. :laugh: Sorry. :wacky:

I might miss it if I did not still work with horses, I loved how relaxing it was once you dropped off the customers. :hilarious:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Driving dogs is a blast! I used to live in Michigan's UP, which gets upwards of 200 inches of snow a year.

Once I was introduced to it, I fell in love with sled dogs. I even drove them to work when we had blizzards.

So much fun, I miss it.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I grew up in the thumb of MI and that was more than enough snow! I don't think I would have survived the UP.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Driving dogs is a blast! I used to live in Michigan's UP, which gets upwards of 200 inches of snow a year.

Once I was introduced to it, I fell in love with sled dogs. I even drove them to work when we had blizzards.

So much fun, I miss it.
What did you do with the dogs while you were at work?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I worked on the airforce base up there, in a restaurant that was a 'mission essential' place for the on duty guys. That meant we had to open no matter blizzards or not. The MPs would pick me up on their snowmobiles to get me there, but were never around when I was ready to go home! :grumpy: So one day I hooked up my favorite dogs and off I went.

I 'parked' them out the back door, which was an alley away from cars. There was about 3 feet of snow out there and my dogs just curled up, tails on nose and slept the day away. I got to throw them some burgers for lunch. ;) My bosses thought it pretty cool and I even made it into the base newspaper. :D

BucketBurd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Don't know how I missed this thread. I drive! I have a mini, Clementine, that I drive and a Missouri Fox Trotter, Red, that my father and I drive.
. IMG_2125.jpg CIMG5157.jpg 20150929_101728.jpg

I've got a basic EE cart for Clementine and this fall was able to find a sulky. I've been looking for one for several years and happened to find one on a local sale site (like craigslist) for a killer deal. I took it all apart, cleaned and repacked the wheel bearings, used steel wool to clean the whole thing and then painted it lime green with pearl white wheels. It turned out fantastic. For some reason I don't have a pic of it on my computer... Anyway, I need to weld some rings on it for my breeching so I can drive it on hills. Clementine is very sensitive to the cart riding up while going down hill.

For Red we've got a really nice Doctor's Buggy and an Oak Meadowbrook cart.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Its only a one horsepower. :lol: