• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any Macaw breeders?

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Hello all! I’m fairly new here. I was just recently scammed by a fake breeder :mad: I’m so heartbroken. In hindsight I can see some of the red flags, I think I was just so excited I was blinded. Anyway, I think my bank is going to get my money back so that’s the good news. But now I have a cage, and all the accessories, and no bird! So I figured my best bet was to go here to ask about reputable breeders. I live in Texas (DFW) but I’m willing to travel out of state (within reason...driving distance under 8 hours) my dream bird is a blue and gold macaw. I’m happy with a younger or older bird I just want one from a reputable place!!! Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you are open to older birds, you might try checking local bird rescues. Even if they don't have what you are looking for, they might be able to point you in the right direction and offer useful advice.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
JC Aviary is in texas and they actually have some blue and golds right now!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry you got scammed. Sadly, there seems to be a lot of scammers out there. As already mentioned, there are a lot of macaws in rescues in need of good homes if you're open to a bird that's not a baby. Many rescues post their available birds on petfinder.com.

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Thanks for the info everyone! I submitted an application to a local rescue shelter over a month ago. They have been terrible about communicating with me (she says they are very busy which I get) so it makes me nervous to adopt because if there is a problem I’m worried I won’t be able to get in touch. I’m actually in Houston right now! Haha! I found a place that has ONE blue and gold and so I packed up for a road trip to check the place out in person! (Lesson learned from my scam) so fingers crossed it’s all legit and the baby likes me! I’m definitely going to ask 95,000 questions this time!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And? How’d the road trip go?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wishing you luck Brandy :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@BrianB breeds red fronted macaws & might know other large bird breeders too.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I breed green wings, harlequins, and red fronted macaws. I have two red fronted chicks that are available at the moment. I have a waiting list for the others that may take me a year to fill.

There is a great rescue in Tucson. It’s the Paradise Parrot Reacue. The guy who runs it is named Brian as well. He’s great and does an amazing job with the rescue.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
aww I can't wait to see more updates on him

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Made a quick trip down to Houston to visit my baby today! We have decided his name is Merlin because he is definitely magical!
Awwwww! That is sooo cute! My dream bird is a macaw!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Ooh Merlin is beautiful! Great photos! There´s something very cute about baby eyes and beaks :rolleyes: :swoon: :cloud9:

@Macawnutz :xflove:
The eyes... :rolleyes: It's those $*&^ eating grins they have as babies that suck you in. I am so cute and will chew your furniture... EVIL LAUGH.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww he's so cute :). JaKhu was 4 moinths old when I got her, so I didn't get to see her at this age. Enjoy the time you have with him as a baby, as he will grow like a weed. Keep in mind behind all that cuteness is a feathered wrecking ball.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is it A Parrot's Cove? They're going to clip your baby whether you want them to or not.