• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any Macaw breeders?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
About them clipping your baby....

JaKhu was 4 months & 11 days old when I got her. I bought her sight unseen from a parrot store. Saw a photo of her on line, placed a deposit & we drove 4 hours one way to get her. They had already clipped her when I called to buy her. Thing is they didn't just take 4 flights off each side they took 8 off each side. I was told they had flown her 3 or 4 times before clipping her. The heavy clip affected her balance. She'd walk across the floor or the bottom of her cage & fall on her face or side. She wobbled like one of those kids toys. I kept all her toys low in the cage. I attached hanging toys to the side of her cage so they just touched the bottom grate or she could reach them from the bottom grate. She had several foot toys as well. The main perch is just below half way up from the bottom, so she could reach the food & water dishes. I didn't give her a swing until most of her clipped flights molted & had regrown. JaKhu was almost a year old before she molted the clipped flights & grew in new ones. She did a lot of flapping during this time. Now I need to each her how to fly & land.

Since they insist on doing a wing clip I would ask them not to do a heavy clip, but only take the first 4 flights on each side if possible. That may allow low flying, usually around 10 feet. During this time you can teach your baby how to fly & land. I couldn't do that with JaKhu, because she dropped like a rock.

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
About them clipping your baby....

JaKhu was 4 months & 11 days old when I got her. I bought her sight unseen from a parrot store. Saw a photo of her on line, placed a deposit & we drove 4 hours one way to get her. They had already clipped her when I called to buy her. Thing is they didn't just take 4 flights off each side they took 8 off each side. I was told they had flown her 3 or 4 times before clipping her. The heavy clip affected her balance. She'd walk across the floor or the bottom of her cage & fall on her face or side. She wobbled like one of those kids toys. I kept all her toys low in the cage. I attached hanging toys to the side of her cage so they just touched the bottom grate or she could reach them from the bottom grate. She had several foot toys as well. The main perch is just below half way up from the bottom, so she could reach the food & water dishes. I didn't give her a swing until most of her clipped flights molted & had regrown. JaKhu was almost a year old before she molted the clipped flights & grew in new ones. She did a lot of flapping during this time. Now I need to each her how to fly & land.

Since they insist on doing a wing clip I would ask them not to do a heavy clip, but only take the first 4 flights on each side if possible. That may allow low flying, usually around 10 feet. During this time you can teach your baby how to fly & land. I couldn't do that with JaKhu, because she dropped like a rock.
Aw that’s so sad! Poor baby! Thanks for the information!! I’ll make a phone call and talk to them about it. Appreciate you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally would offer extra money to not maim my bird or I would buy from elsewhere.

They need to learn to fly at fledgling age to get the proper skills they need to fly well for life. Flying once or twice as a fledgling is not enough, neural pathways are made while fledging and the more they’re allowed to fly as babies the better they’ll be at it.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@JLcribber has cockatoos who never learned to fly. They look beautiful sitting outside in trees, but knowing that it wasn't because they chose to hang out but rather because they can't fly half ruined the photo for me.

He also has some research links about this. I don't tend to bookmark things, but there was a very interesting article on this topic he linked to. You should make an informed decision.

I can't help but think that this place clips on purpose so they can raise more babies in less space.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They will clip no matter. It takes energy and creativity to deal with flying baby parrots. Too much work for them. A friend bought a B&G there; they wouldn't even let her provide Harrison's for HER bird; they insisted on some colored pellet. I'm not a fan. That said, I hope you have a much better experience. Her baby is very sweet.

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
So far my experience with them has been wonderful. They’ve been very accommodating and helpful. While I was visiting last time I met another macaw owner who had great things to say, said she’s been going there for years. I’m not worried but I appreciate the concern. I’m already in love with baby and he’s mine and I couldn’t turn back now it would break my heart! But again, appreciate the concern. ;)

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So far my experience with them has been wonderful. They’ve been very accommodating and helpful. While I was visiting last time I met another macaw owner who had great things to say, said she’s been going there for years. I’m not worried but I appreciate the concern. I’m already in love with baby and he’s mine and I couldn’t turn back now it would break my heart! But again, appreciate the concern. ;)
It’s good that you are satisfied with them.
I think other macaw experienced owners are just trying to let you know that the shortcuts the Parrot Cove takes might make your job as a new mom to Merlin a fair bit harder.

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
It’s good that you are satisfied with them.
I think other macaw experienced owners are just trying to let you know that the shortcuts the Parrot Cove takes might make your job as a new mom to Merlin a fair bit harder.
Oh for sure! I did call and talk to them. They explained to me why they clip their wings and I understand their reasoning, although I think it’s not necessary as you said. I did talk them down from a large clip to a small clip which makes me feel better. I’m so glad I have this great community of experienced people to help me out here. You all are so awesome! I’m sort of of the mindset that this is just like having a first child, you prepare and prepare, you research and you research, but nothing really gets you ready for the actual experience. But I’m 100% committed, and I will continue to research and do everything that I possibly can to make sure this is a happy healthy flying baby! I don’t work, and my kids are all in school, so I have the freedom of a lot of time to help him adjust. Thank you so much!