• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any kitten experts?

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Awww she’s quite young and very cute.

Look at them looong toes :heart:

She’s so little it scares me, I’ve gotten her to eat and helped her bathroom. I just couldn’t leave her. (Not sure if she’s a she but I’m rolling with it)
I’ve rescued a few cats in my time never this small. My mom will feed her while I’m at work.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Possible to take her to the vet to get her checked out?
She is so little.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
You are such a caring and compassionate person, my friend. I can't imagine what the baby would have gone through if you had not come along.

Her eyes have not yet opened so she must be under seven days. Newborn kittens open their eyes between 7-10 days.

You will have to keep her warm because kittens that age can not regulate their temperature. I would suggest a heating pad set on low and a blanket or towel on top of it

She looks relatively healthy, both her weight and her coat look good. She is going to exhaust you a little with her constant feedings, set about 2-3 hours apart.

Bless your heart for saving her.

Last edited:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
She’s 153g and I’m seeing my vet on Friday at 4. They’re overbooked but fit me in.

You are such a caring and compassionate person, my friend. I can't imagine what the baby would have gone through if you had not come along.

Her eyes have not yet opened so she must be under seven days. Newborn kittens open their eyes between 7-10 days.

She looks relatively healthy, both her weight and her coat look good. She is going to exhaust you a little with her constant feedings, set about 2-3 hours apart.

Bless your heart for saving her.

My friend who I was with kept saying maybe it’s fate. Either I’m keeping her or my friend who was looking for a kitten will take her. I wasn’t raised to leave a critter that seemed like they needed help.
I’ll block off my kitchen, which is already partially done anyway. I’m scared with her being so tiny.

I bought one of those heartbeat stuffed animals, microwaveable heating pad and batteries hopefully those will be here soon.

She looks amazingly healthy. She's a nice size and her tummy looks full. Mom cats sometimes move their babies around and that might have been the case here.

Thank you, this makes me feel better. We spent some time trying to find mama with no luck. Everything I’ve read after I got home said I should have left her because mom could’ve been close by. But, I’m hoping I can give her a better life or find her one than a stray cat. The area I found her in is a poor one with many strays.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
She’s 153g and I’m seeing my vet on Friday at 4. They’re overbooked but fit me in.

My friend who I was with kept saying maybe it’s fate. Either I’m keeping her or my friend who was looking for a kitten will take her. I wasn’t raised to leave a critter that seemed like they needed help.
I’ll block off my kitchen, which is already partially done anyway. I’m scared with her being so tiny.

I bought one of those heartbeat stuffed animals, microwaveable heating pad and batteries hopefully those will be here soon.

Thank you, this makes me feel better. We spent some time trying to find mama with no luck. Everything I’ve read after I got home said I should have left her because mom could’ve been close by. But, I’m hoping I can give her a better life or find her one than a stray cat. The area I found her in is a poor one with many strays.

Oh, I am so glad that you took her in, mom may, or may not, come back for her and anything could have happened to her, especially being so close to a road. Warming a water bottle works too, but I always preferred using a heating pad because that way it doesn't cool off.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
C56FBEB2-0319-4B78-8650-6E939A47D865.jpeg 95088338-1F00-422C-984E-C3910FDD07AF.jpeg
Oh, I am so glad that you took her in, mom may, or may not, come back for her and anything could have happened to her, especially being so close to a road. Warming a water bottle works too, but I always preferred using a heating pad because that way it doesn't cool off.
I didn’t know, but I know what can happen if a helpless animal is left alone outside. We looked for mama but she was too stealthy or who knows.

redindiaink

Avenue Veteran
If they're under two weeks old you will have to wipe their bottoms (perineum) to encourage them to eliminate feces and urine because they don't know how to do it on their initially, and will have to keep it up for about four weeks, or until the kitten can eliminate on their own.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
If they're under two weeks old you will have to wipe their bottoms (perineum) to encourage them to eliminate feces and urine because they don't know how to do it on their initially, and will have to keep it up for about four weeks, or until the kitten can eliminate on their own.
Thank you! I got her to eliminate twice, once after each feeding. How often are they expected to poo? I'm keeping records of everything.

:eek: She’s adorable. :heart: So glad you rescued here :hug8:
Thank you!

Will she suck from a bottle with nipple in it?
Yep! She ate 4ml earlier when I got her home (around 4:30ish) and she just ate (around 7) and she ate around 5ml. I read that the max was 6ml per feeding but if anyone chimes in knowing better, I'm totally open.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think you’ll find the mother cat usually gives them all a stimulating bum clean after each feeding to encourage them to go. Not sure how often other than feed times though.