• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any help appreciated

pSpencer11

Moving in
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Hi all. New to this site and first time posting.
I got this make a few weeks ago and he is full of energy and is constantly chirping and twittering away. But I have concerns that he has not got any long tail feathers and is not flying. Can anyone offer any insight ? Thanks in advance 6348073A-FEEE-4C5C-A149-1244ECF014D0.jpeg

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Paul, Welcome to the Avenue :)

is not flying
He won´t. He has no flight feathers on the wing at all. Either they were clipped short, or they got trapped on something and he lost them.

When bringing home a new bird friend, it´s always a good idea to head on down to the vets for a wellness check, to be sure they´re ok and illness free.

pSpencer11

Moving in
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Thank you ! A friend mentioned it could be French Moult !? What do you think ? I will look into booking a vet appointment after the bank holiday weekend

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you ! A friend mentioned it could be French Moult !? What do you think ? I will look into booking a vet appointment after the bank holiday weekend
Unfortunately I cannot diagnose illnesses since I am not a vet, nor do I know enough about your bird. If you are worried it may be a French moult a vet appointment is the appropriate next step. This is a very serious illness that one should not take lightly. I hope your vet can help you find the answer.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
His flights are there, just either growing back in after a loss, or deformed (possibly disease?). Given the absence of a tail as well, I think this guy should see a vet.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Did you get him from a pet store or from a breeder? Wing clipping is pretty common at pet shops. Thay might explain the lack of flight, but they don't usually clip the tail too.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
My budgie once chewed off his tail feathers but they grew back. Now sure why he did it :shrug:

pSpencer11

Moving in
Real Name
Paul Spencer
His flights are there, just either growing back in after a loss, or deformed (possibly disease?). Given the absence of a tail as well, I think this guy should see a vet.
Would you be able to age him ?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Sometimes birds are just smaller. :shrug:

Is your smaller bird ill? Did you ever see a vet? Regarding your previous concerns?

Are you weighing your birds daily?

Perhaps he is eating less.

Maybe the lack of feathers causes him to be perceived as smaller.

Perhaps rhaps it's different postures.

Maybe it's more that your other bird is larger? You're asking a question that's relative to another bird. I'm not sure anyone could answer that question.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Size can varied quite considerable with budgies, it can be anything from age to genetics (being/having English budgie heritage) to just being small.
I am also curious as to if you've found out about the feathers?