• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any good positive/negative punishment?

HKsai

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Timothy
Are there any good positive/negative punishment to discourage certain behaviors? :huh:

PS: when I said punishment I mean a stimulus that discourages behavior (decreases the frequency of behavior). It doesn't necessarily mean like adding negative stimuli like spanking.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
if you do not approve of their behavior, turn your back and walk away. no attention should be paid to bad behavoir. reinforce good behavior with scritches/ treats, mostly scritches.
can you describe the type of behavior you are seeing that would help anybody else coming on to help you. if Rocky is not being nice, i put him on his cage walk away until i see better behavior from him.

HKsai

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Timothy
if you do not approve of their behavior, turn your back and walk away. no attention should be paid to bad behavoir. reinforce good behavior with scritches/ treats, mostly scritches.
can you describe the type of behavior you are seeing that would help anybody else coming on to help you. if Rocky is not being nice, i put him on his cage walk away until i see better behavior from him.
He keeps climbing up on top of his feeder box and perch on it. He will start pooping and making a mess. I have a flat perch but he just ignores it. He literally just started doing this. I think he wanted to perch high to see me but I mean he can see me either way......Everything is the same but he literally just started doing this...consistently today. :banghead:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
move the dish/feeder or get a different type of dish/feeder. by the way, most birds poop in their food dishes at some time in their life. it's a part of being bird i swear. i set up Rocky's cage so he can't poop in his dishes. there is one i remove nightly so he doesn't poop it it at nite. the best thing i can reccommend is try a different dish in that area. and be ready to cleean the dish nightly if needed.
:tiel2: and his mom

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it the highest perching place or the highest perching place he can easily access? A bird's instinct is to roost up high.

HKsai

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Timothy
move the dish/feeder or get a different type of dish/feeder. by the way, most birds poop in their food dishes at some time in their life. it's a part of being bird i swear. i set up Rocky's cage so he can't poop in his dishes. there is one i remove nightly so he doesn't poop it it at nite. the best thing i can reccommend is try a different dish in that area. and be ready to cleean the dish nightly if needed.
:tiel2: and his mom
It's one of those semi enclosed feeder box. I'm gonna try moving the feeder to a different spot and see :/

HKsai

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Timothy
Is it the highest perching place or the highest perching place he can easily access? A bird's instinct is to roost up high.
it's not the highest but it's the 2nd highest it's funny because his favorite perch is the one right in front of the cage but it is not the highest. I guess i rewarded him once because i knew he perched high to get my attention and I took him out once because of that :banghead:

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't think he perches there because you reinforced it once. I think he just likes it. How is he supposed to know that there is a place in his house that he's not allowed to sit on?

HKsai

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Timothy
I don't think he perches there because you reinforced it once. I think he just likes it. How is he supposed to know that there is a place in his house that he's not allowed to sit on?
I wouldn't mind either but I'm just worried for his health.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How small is his cage that this should be a problem?

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Putting the dish in back of the cage will probably help. My first 'tiel's favorite cage spot was on the food cup that came with the cage. I ended up flipping the cups over to create flat perches since she was determined to sit there and put a new food dish in back and got a covered water dish for the back as well. No more poopy food and water. Birds are so messy. :)

HKsai

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Timothy
Putting the dish in back of the cage will probably help. My first 'tiel's favorite cage spot was on the food cup that came with the cage. I ended up flipping the cups over to create flat perches since she was determined to sit there and put a new food dish in back and got a covered water dish for the back as well. No more poopy food and water. Birds are so messy. :)
I have one of those two hooks feeder box and my arms are short :arghh: so it will be hard for me to hook it to the back every single day (twice a day now since I'm trying to switch him to half pellet half seed diet). I moved it to the side and I will see what happens :D fingers crossed. Technically the food is still clean but the poop is all over the clear feeder box top LOL If this continue to happen, I might just put my huge flat perch right on top of the feeder LOL

PS: I have his favorite grapevine perch super high now since I moved the feeder box to the side. I put the water dish in front of his grapevine perch and he seems to be drinking more water too!!!

Last edited: