• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any Cockatiel breeders willing to share some knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

boysmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather Haywood
I am looking for a Cockatiel breeder willing to share their handfeeding schedule and amounts with me. I have handfed before !

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I just dug out my books (yes, I kept records) of when I did so much hand feeding including 'tiels. I pulled them at 3 weeks and hand fed 4 to 5 times a day. I actually let them take as much as them wanted until I saw that they were falling asleep! I checked my homemade formula for consistency and temperature and used a stainless steel baby spoon with a long handle. Froze the extra when I made it in ice cube trays and used the microwave to thaw it. You have to be careful for hot spots. Man, it was a lot of work but a labor of love.:heart:
If you can find it, I would buy that old book by Robbi Harris. She goes into wonderful detail about hand feeding.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I second Susanne's site. She is more thorough, and has the most awesome tutorial in photos of anyone I have ever seen.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Besides....she is who I got Gryphon from.:heart:

Bailey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I recommend Susanne's information. Cockatiel cottage is a little outdated since they have not rewritten their information in some time. I do not trust them to have 'spot on' information. I know some people who have written them and requested they update their information and cockatiel cottage just won't do it for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.