• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any cage setup suggestions?

rosebud3

Meeting neighbors
Hi all! Finished the setup for my cockatiel coming home soon who will have access to my room nearly 24/7. I will also be making a play stand in the future:). It is 31x20x52 (LxWxH). Open to all suggestions!!:flowgdnc::laughing2: IMG_2858.JPG

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Looks great!

My suggestion is that it is looks quite busy, with toys and natural perches taking up a lot of space. When you make up your play stand, maybe you could take some of the toys out of the cage to use on it?

You're going to have one spoilt cockatiel

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Wow, looks awesome!
I do agree with Ali; it’s a big cage but with that many toys there won’t actually be that much room for your tiel to fly around.
My only other suggestion would be to maybe use paper towels or plain paper instead of newspaper? Just because I’ve heard that the print from some dyes can be toxic.

Reactions: Ali

rosebud3

Meeting neighbors
Looks great!

My suggestion is that it is looks quite busy, with toys and natural perches taking up a lot of space. When you make up your play stand, maybe you could take some of the toys out of the cage to use on it?

You're going to have one spoilt cockatiel
Thats what I was thinking. Thank you!! :laughing2:

rosebud3

Meeting neighbors
Wow, looks awesome!
I do agree with Ali; it’s a big cage but with that many toys there won’t actually be that much room for your tiel to fly around.
My only other suggestion would be to maybe use paper towels or plain paper instead of newspaper? Just because I’ve heard that the print from some dyes can be toxic.
Oh wow really? I will definitely look into that. :)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Wow, looks awesome!
I use newspaper. Ink has been made safe now. There was a thread recently about it

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love the cage set up! :loveit:

I would remove two of the lower perches for space to be able to fly up.

But everything else is perfect, great perch variety and a good amount of different toys :)

I´m sure your new bird will be very, very happy with his new home :bliss:

rosebud3

Meeting neighbors
Love the cage set up! :loveit:

I would remove two of the lower perches for space to be able to fly up.

But everything else is perfect, great perch variety and a good amount of different toys :)

I´m sure your new bird will be very, very happy with his new home :bliss:
Thanks!! :bounce3:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree, it looks a bit busy. Here's an example of Leia's cage - it's 40x30" but she's a bigger bird. I try to maintain a balance of having a choice of perches and toys, but also having room to stretch and move. It's great that you have so many perches and toys, but I'd keep some back and rotate them or use them on the stand.

PXL_20200928_191958747.jpg

I think your bird will also let you know what they like. Watch your bird carefully and observe how they use the space. You may notice that a perch is preventing them from jumping from one place to another, or that they prefer to climb the bars. You may notice that your bird doesn't use all the perches. You may notice that they prefer a certain style of perch. Setting up a cage is very much a process - you won't get it right first time but none of us did either! You'll get there :)

rosebud3

Meeting neighbors
I agree, it looks a bit busy. Here's an example of Leia's cage - it's 40x30" but she's a bigger bird. I try to maintain a balance of having a choice of perches and toys, but also having room to stretch and move. It's great that you have so many perches and toys, but I'd keep some back and rotate them or use them on the stand.

View attachment 355596

I think your bird will also let you know what they like. Watch your bird carefully and observe how they use the space. You may notice that a perch is preventing them from jumping from one place to another, or that they prefer to climb the bars. You may notice that your bird doesn't use all the perches. You may notice that they prefer a certain style of perch. Setting up a cage is very much a process - you won't get it right first time but none of us did either! You'll get there :)
That setup is great!

Reactions: tka