• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any avian vets in eastern Washington

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Looks like we will be moving back to Washington this spring. We will be 2 hours north of Spokane. I tried googling avian vets, with no luck. Anyone else live out that way, and know a good vet? Surely people in eastern Washington have birds!
I realize my dreams of moving back may not be the best move for the birds if there are no vets close. But it is what is best for us, so what do I do? Please, not rehoming them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You hopefully will eventually locate a vet you are comfortable with who is (fingers crossed) not too far away from where you hope to move to. I am sure there is no reason to even think about let alone mention rehoming them and no one would be suggesting that to you!
You still have time before the move to keep searching for a vet, I personally would ring a vet clinic close to where you are looking at moving to and ask them if they can help you locate an AV in the area.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I guess living so far from civilization might have one drawback, no avian vet. No hooman doctors close either, but that I am okay with. Seen enough of them these past three years to last the rest of my life!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I couldn’t find any close to me on a list similar to the one posted so I called around a few vet clinics in different areas and asked for where I could find the closest AV to them. Turns out at the time there were three I would have been happy to travel to that were not on the lists. Not sure if here is the same as there but from what I was told unless they join the association their name is not on the list.
This is why I suggested to call around clinics in the area you’re looking at locating to.
One of those vets I found through calling random clinics is now on the list- maybe because I hassled her about how difficult it can be for people to find AV’s and how bird people from her own home town had no clue she was a bird vet till I told them- those same people had traveled twice the distance they needed to with deathly sick birds to see who they thought was their closest AV.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I guess living so far from civilization might have one drawback, no avian vet. No hooman doctors close either, but that I am okay with. Seen enough of them these past three years to last the rest of my life!
Hopefully nor you nor the bird will need any.
My vet is also a 3h drive away.. I would love to have him next door but...
In case of emergency I am to take my boy to the nearest vet station that cooperates with the university clinic, just to stabilaze him, get him ready for the trip..
Sadly, thats how it is..

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
I live in Eastern Washington too, we don’t have any avian vets in this area either.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I second @Shezbug suggestion. That said, I also understand living in a "rural" area and not having easy access to a vet or other things.

I would suggest try searching ABVP but it seems like the results would be about the same... easily a 5+ hour distance away. :(

I've been considering moving to Washington myself, but I would rather go to western Washington.... eastern Washington looks about like where I already live... in Nevada! lol I want something green!

Best of luck in your search and future move. :)

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I second @Shezbug suggestion. That said, I also understand living in a "rural" area and not having easy access to a vet or other things.

I would suggest try searching ABVP but it seems like the results would be about the same... easily a 5+ hour distance away. :(

I've been considering moving to Washington myself, but I would rather go to western Washington.... eastern Washington looks about like where I already live... in Nevada! lol I want something green!

Best of luck in your search and future move. :)
Green, eastern Washington is evergreen tree capitol. Our land there is nothing but evergreen trees.

Attachments

Schmidt.T

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tranel Schmidt
Washington State University in Pullman, WA is where a lot of exotic pet owners go. They have actual exotic/avian vets. Really a great place. Here is the link to their website. Check out our new hospital website