• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

any advice for a (hopefully) soon to be cat owner?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
@fluffypoptarts, I know that cats and birds are always bad together, but I'm saying that a bird like a cockatoo can defend himself against a cat. The cockatoo won't get eaten by the cat, but yes, I know about the bacteria, and of course you should never leave them alone!

Dogs and birds, however, can be friends. I have a very small miniature dachshund, and she is actually scared of my birds. I wouldn't let them be alone together, but when I am watching, they can be friends.

I'm not so irresponsible to leave the animals alone together, but because I can't control everything about all my animals, I am very thankful that I have a short-legged cat and a dog who likes/is scared of my birds

p.s. I love your gif!! Twinkie is soo cute!!

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
i've been begging my mom for literal years to get a cat with no success, and instead became a bird person xD. but my love for cats is still there.

so, for some info, i live in a third world country, in a 107 square meters (1151,73 square feet) apartment with my parents. i'd like to get a kitten that would spend it's time indoors since i would fear for it going outside (mainly cuz i dont want it to get sick, injured, or worse, stolen).

anyway, i have some questions that i would love if you guys could answer them:

1-apart from the vaccination and neutering/spaying stuff, what can i do to make sure it's healthy?

2- lets say i get a kitten, it would obviously be raised with 3 birds in the house, would that be a problem if i made sure they become friends from an early age?

3-what should i buy before getting a cat (except for food, food and water bowls and some toys) ?

4-is it really necessary to neuter/spay and vaccinate a cat if it's gonna spend its time indoors? ( i have a friend who has a cat, not vaccinated or neutered/spayed, it roams outside constantly and according to him it got sick once). the reason im asking this is because i doubt i could get a cat neutered/spayed in a third world country, not sure about it tho.

5-can cats be taken out on a walk like dogs?

i think that's it. this site has helped a lot when it comes to bird stuff so i have no doubt i'll get great help from here.

thanks in advance and stay safe :D
If I were you I would always supervise when the cat is next to your birds

:rfcanary: Blaze
:rfcanary:Scarlet

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
@Gigibirds Cats are very dangerous for ALL birds. Cats and birds are never okay together, no matter how large the bird is. The bird can still get hurt or killed, and the bacteria on the cats claws and in its mouth is deadly to birds.

Dogs and birds should not be loose together either - they also cannot be friends and no predator can be trusted, period.

You should not be risking the lives of your birds and leaving their welfare up to luck and the shortness of your cat’s legs.
Your Gif is AMAZING, im thinking about getting a lovebird but im afraid it might attack my canaries.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but cats just have too strong of a hunt drive. The cat, Eisa, tries to catch my birds whenever she sees them flying. One of my birds likes to sit in my lap, and the cat once pounced ON MY LEG trying to catch my bird. Or when I was sitting on the sofa, with the bird in my hair, the cat climbed up the back of the sofa and pounced on my NECK!! I tried to make them friends but it doesn't work.
They are predators and it´s in their blood. It´s not their fault, they are just born that way. It is their owners job to keep the cat and bird separated to keep the bird safe at all times.
Imagine living in your house, but you can´t leave, you´re locked inside and then a psychotic murderer is thrown in with you - would you live peacefully, feeling safe? Or always uneasy, scared, unsecure?
Lot´s of people have cats and birds. But they need to be kept separate.
Birds don´t do well with stress.

With a larger bird that can fight back, you would be ok,
The cockatoo won't get eaten by the cat, but yes, I know about the bacteria,
A cat does not need to eat a bird to kill them.
I scooped up a monk parakeet up off the street after my partner chased away a cat that had grabbed him.
He was alive, he didn´t get eaten.
I got him to the hospital within 10 minutes and the vet raced to give him antibiotics and treat him.
He died 3 days later.

Dogs and birds, however, can be friends. I have a very small miniature dachshund, and she is actually scared of my birds.
I am very thankful that I have a short-legged cat and a dog who likes/is scared of my birds
Some food for thought.........
This says your little scared dog weighs 11 pounds which is 5kilos, give or take. You have lovebirds right? So they each weigh 50grams.
Imagine your dog accidently steps on your bird. Do you think your bird will live?
Your one dog weighs the same as 100 lovebirds.

All it takes is an accident. I know I never thought of that until it happened to someone I know on this site. They were heartbroken. it sure made me think twice about having my dog in the same room!

Reactions: tka

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
@fluffypoptarts, I know that cats and birds are always bad together, but I'm saying that a bird like a cockatoo can defend himself against a cat. The cockatoo won't get eaten by the cat, but yes, I know about the bacteria, and of course you should never leave them alone!

Dogs and birds, however, can be friends. I have a very small miniature dachshund, and she is actually scared of my birds. I wouldn't let them be alone together, but when I am watching, they can be friends.

I'm not so irresponsible to leave the animals alone together, but because I can't control everything about all my animals, I am very thankful that I have a short-legged cat and a dog who likes/is scared of my birds

p.s. I love your gif!! Twinkie is soo cute!!

How is life with a munchkin kitty? :) I think her legs would cut back on her jumping up on the counter but maybe she knows a way. She is super cute and very patient with you dressing her.