• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anxiety in Gouldians

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Since Gouldians have anxiety, and even being taken out of their cage could cause them to die from it, how do you finch owners trim their nails, take them to the vet, or even apply SCATT? I don't know if the articles I have been reading on it are just exaggerating their anxiety, but if not they sound almost impossible to care for because of it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Since Gouldians have anxiety, and even being taken out of their cage could cause them to die from it, how do you finch owners trim their nails, take them to the vet, or even apply SCATT? I don't know if the articles I have been reading on it are just exaggerating their anxiety, but if not they sound almost impossible to care for because of it.
Good grief. People will say anything. If your bird is well bred and healthy it will not die from being taken out! I handle mine all the time. I apply SCATT, trim nails, move them to another cage. Catch them if they are out flying around. Believe me, nothing happens.

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Good grief. People will say anything. If your bird is well bred and healthy it will not die from being taken out! I handle mine all the time. I apply SCATT, trim nails, move them to another cage. Catch them if they are out flying around. Believe me, nothing happens.

Yeah I've read several articles saying they could die from being taken out or even just moving the cage to another room because of anxiety. I got confused after reading about taking them out for the vet ect. or seeing pictures of people holding them. I guess that just shows you, you can't believe everything you read online.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Extreme mortal terror can certainly be detrimental, but if finches were that utterly fragile, the species would have died out ages ago. Life in the wild isn't exactly a cakewalk. The wild finch-family birds I see around here are all kinds of fearless and cheeky.

(Lol, now I'm picturing dozens of finches hunkered down waiting for a hawk to pass, and keeling over en masse from the stress like a flock of feathered fainting goats).

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
People believe that Gouldians are more fragile. Maybe they are, somebody forgot to tell me that before I got them - mine never have been. :D

Seriously, good diet, good hygiene practices - they can be as strong as any finch.

now I'm picturing dozens of finches hunkered down waiting for a hawk to pass, and keeling over en masse from the stress like a flock of feathered fainting goats).
Too funny!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Extreme mortal terror can certainly be detrimental, but if finches were that utterly fragile, the species would have died out ages ago. Life in the wild isn't exactly a cakewalk. The wild finch-family birds I see around here are all kinds of fearless and cheeky.

(Lol, now I'm picturing dozens of finches hunkered down waiting for a hawk to pass, and keeling over en masse from the stress like a flock of feathered fainting goats).
I have fainting goats and OH MY GOODNESS this would be hilarious.