• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ANTS

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I was cleaning my front entry swept and damp mop until I saw something on the floor moving,,,,,ANTS. If the weather wasn't miserably raining, snaining and snowing I would have run to the store got some terro ant poison. But am trying this to see if it works equal amounts of baking soda and powdered sugar, mixed with enough water to make a paste. Also put in barrier of household disinfectant in a semi circle to keep the crawlies from going beyond that corner. This place is super buggy ugh

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Have any Borax on hand?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
No I don't and it's hard to find cuz all the kids that make slime.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Pour boiling hot kettle water down cracks only thing I found really got rid of them I felt horrible time I did it but they were all in my house flying ones coming in too i don’t mind them in garden but when they are over my kitchen sides

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Hard to pour boiling water inside the wall

Winn

Jogging around the block
Not sure what type of ants you're dealing with. We have "sugar ants" here.. small black ants that are annoying but don't really sting....
and we have "fire ants" that have been known to cripple horses and cows and kill smaller animals. Their sting is very painful and some people are highly allergic (anaphylaxis).
There are bait traps to help get rid of sugar ants. They don't work on fire ants.

Maybe diatomaceous earth would work? From what I read it is safe to use around birds, but please do your own research if you consider it.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I got some good replies here :) Ants

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I use 2 liter soda bottles on their sides, with this mixture inside. You won't believe how many ants will be in that bottle after 3 to 4 days! Then I just add the cap and throw it out - start over if you're still having them.
ANT BAIT
If you're using sugar water, add about 8 teaspoons of sugar to 1 cup of water, then add 1 teaspoon of boric acid. If the ants aren't attracted to your baits as well as you'd like, reduce the boric acid to 1/2 teaspoon per 1 cup for a 1 percent solution. Clearly label any leftover bait you save.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I bought STEM ant, roach and fly spray non aerosol
Seems to have done the trick.
Added note: be careful about spraying this stuff. It leaves floors slippery. What I did was spray it on paper towel and stuffed it under the baseboard.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I bought STEM ant, roach and fly spray non aerosol
Seems to have done the trick.
Added note: be careful about spraying this stuff. It leaves floors slippery. What I did was spray it on paper towel and stuffed it under the baseboard.
Glad you are ant free

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Hopefully it stays that way. Ants are normally found on interior wall in the winter . Which makes me wonder if they are infested in the building.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully it stays that way. Ants are normally found on interior wall in the winter . Which makes me wonder if they are infested in the building.
I've got this same issue,I live in an older apt building and they definitely live in the walls without a doubt.