• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ants in the cage

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
I clean my parrots cage almost daily. Specially since the day she got ill. But even after daily care I see ants in her cage . Those brown ants are mostly in her sunflower seeds bowl. Even when I change it daily , they comes daily. I'm afraid she might eat one one day. Please guide me that should I use dettol or any other detergent...

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ants will follow their established trails. If your bird's cage is on wheels I may roll it into another room for a few hours and wash the floor and walls. If your bird is safely out of the way a bleach/water solution will disrupt the trail. If you continue thereafter to be fastidious about cleaning her cage it will probably help. We occasionally get a trail of ants that found something we didn't know was dropped or left open. Usually removing the source, and washing the path they were coming from is enough.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Ants also don’t like chili powder and you can deter them with it while not having to use any harsh chemicals around your bird.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I thought I read cinnamon too

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds eat ants among many other bugs in the wild. They are a not poisonous and actually have some protein.

You must find the source of where those ants are coming in and seal it up wherever that is. If not no amount of killer will work. They will just keep coming back.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you find the hole in the house where they are coming in you can stuff the hole with "steel wool". They can not get past it.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds eat ants among many other bugs in the wild. They are a not poisonous and actually have some protein.

You must find the source of where those ants are coming in and seal it up wherever that is. If not no amount of killer will work. They will just keep coming back.
That's basically what we had to do. We had a bad ant infestation for several months and nothing worked not even spraying though it did help a lot more so than anything we had tried up til that point. But the only way we were finally able to get rid of them was to block every single crack or separation at the baseboards. Once we did that we haven't seen them again and it's been almost a year now ant free! *knock on wood*