• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Antibiotics side effects

Kmleb333

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there,
Fairly new bird mom here. My baby will be 1 tomorrow. She was put on orbax on Monday, 3 days ago for possible bacterial infection. We are feeding her a ceital care food will a syringe to get some weight back on her. She, at her heaviest was up yo 482g and yesterday was down to 400g and 406g this morning. Since last night, her poop is back to diarrhea and VERY stinky.. . I'm a wreck. Is this normal with Orbax? Does anyone know? I'm going to call my vet again today.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What species of bird do you have? Sorry, I have no idea what "ceital care food" is. Orbax (orbinofloxicin ) is a fluoroquinolone that are known to have some side effects. One side effect is stomach irritation. I would definitely get in touch with her vet and discuss this symptom with him.

Welcome

MBBirdsNV

Moving in
Real Name
Kimberly Smith
Ok so I will tell you what I would do based on what Ive learned owning birds for 15yrs and getting into my species for 2yrs now where I learned way more through my birds breeders. Anyways here it goes Orbax is used in birds as off label. FDA has approved its use in cats and dogs but not for birds horses and others refer to picture. Thats all I know Im not sure as Ive never use that nor have I ever had the need to take my birds to the vet growing up I read ALOT books etc. And was friends with our vet who taught me alot. That being said if you have the basics down with the birds and have the right equipment and products for cleaning as well as the right diet or supplements etc. Topping it off with the ideal environment/aviary/flight/cage then you should rarely have to ever have a need for the vet.
I always keep track of food consumption amounts. Water changed once or twice a day. Poo trays every few days to avoid dust etc. Robot vacuum runs twice a day as it is very dusty where Im from so it builds up fast and dust is a no no we keep airpurifiers in their area ALWAYS.

So getting down to the point here I will NEVER EVER allow anyone, I dont care if theyre a Professional experienced or Licensed individual, to medicate my birds on a "suspicion"

First birds have tiny bodies compared to dogs, cats and people. So giving or prescribing those tiny bodies medicines specially off label use without an exact diagnosis in my opinion is not a good look on any vet.

There are many kinds of bacteria, gram - and gram +
Some that get killed easy with certain meds some that dont.

A birds poo is a good way to see whats going on with our feathered friends.

Before giving birds any antibiotics or medicines poo/blood needs to be tested or how ever the test should be done. To avoid antibiotic resisttance which is more comon than most people know.

Most birds are asymptomatic making it harder for us to catch if theyre sick. Alot of diseases make them get sick after stress even. So looking at their poo,general activity or energy level is a must. Ive done it for so long so I know every single bird here(43) as well as their usual antics and how they generally are throughout the day. Are they singing? Those little things can help alot believe it or not.

Ive seen it a few times that birds who are put on meds do get better 1st few days then tank hard and all of a sudden just snap back to normal just when you thought you did it all but they looked like they were dying. The main thing is to keep cages clean offer lots of fresh foods, keeping them in a quiet room with heat as heat lessens the energy consumption(shivering requires calories) keeping the area warm when birds are sick will give their tiny bodies less to have to do so they can just utilize energy at getting better or feeding etc.

Antibiotics may cause diarrhea which is normal. You might need to add electrolytes in the water til theyre a bit better as diarrhea will lead to dehydration and an added stress to the birds.

I suggest find out the exact "suspicious" cause as well as monitor how yoir baby is acting.

When the aNtibiotics are dons dont forget to give probiotics and or milkthistle.

Wishing you all the luck!

Attachments