• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Antibiotics possibly making cockatiel worse??

EllaKeoghh

Checking out the neighborhood
My 1 year old male cockatiel, Pippin, has recently been put on an antibiotics called augmentin drops. I recognised that he was sick straight away and took him to the vet on the same day. He went quiet, stopped eating and was fluffing up and sleeping all day.
The vet told us that he had a crop infection and to administer the augmentin drops orally twice a day for 10 days. We are currently on days three and he seems more weak and sick than he's ever been. The vet said he might lose appetite at first but its very difficult to see him struggle so much. It doesn't feel right. Has anyone ever had the same issue? Is it normal for him to deteriorate so much from antibiotics? I'm really worried

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Once a round of antibiotics has started, it is safer to use the entire treatment. Stopping antibiotics too early can contribute to the development of a more resilient bacteria.

If you are under the care of a vet, I would call them now. Explain your concern. Do not change or stop treatment with out guidance from the vet who knows your case.

--
Herbivores are more sensitive to antibiotics. Omnivores like humans do better with them because we have more diverse bacteria in our guts. So if your bird is having I'll effect call your vet, especially if your vet already knows your care strategy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

EllaKeoghh

Once a round of antibiotics has started, it is safer to use the entire treatment. Stopping antibiotics too early can contribute to the development of a more resilient bacteria.

If you are under the care of a vet, I would call them now. Explain your concern. Do not change or stop treatment with out guidance from the vet who knows your case.

--
Herbivores are more sensitive to antibiotics. Omnivores like humans do better with them because we have more diverse bacteria in our guts. So if your bird is having I'll effect call your vet, especially if your vet already knows your care strategy.
Oh thank you so much for the advice! I was considering stopping so it's good thing I saw this.
Its midnight now but I'll call the vet tomorrow and see what she says. I doubt I'll be able to get in before Christmas and it's the only avian vet near me but hopefully she'll be able to tell me if it's normal or not. Poor little fella! I hate this guilt

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Augmentin is similar to Baytril in it's side effects and could very well make a bird nauseous or have other side effects. You should contact your vet immediately ad tell her that you are afraid that your bird may be allergic to the augmetin.

Did your vet do a culture and sensitivity on the bacteria in your baby's crop? There are many bacteria that could cause the infection and not every bacteria is sensitive to every antibiotic. So a culture and sensitivity is always wise to identify the appropriate antibiotic for that specific bacteria. It takes an antibiotic 48-72 hours to show effectiveness. The culture and sensitivity does not show what antibiotics your bird may be allergic to.

Giving food just before dosing with augmentin can help with nausea.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be less concerned about an augmentin allergy and more concerned that it's just not working for whatever your baby has. Definitely contact the vet again as others have suggested.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Good idea to contact the vet!

Did the vet do any tests to determine what's wrong with your tiel?

EllaKeoghh

Thank you so much for the advice! He's definitely improved significantly, he's eating a lot and flying and he calls out as usual, but he's not talking yet. Before he was sick he was would talk and sing all day but he hasn't made a single noise aside from chirps and calling out when I leave the room. I called the vet last week who told me it's probably the side effects but it's been over 2 weeks now and I'm still worried.
I'm giving him poly aid plus which I started yesterday, so fingers crossed he will be 100% better soon.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the update!
I’m so glad to hear your baby is doing better :)