• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Antibiotic Precautions and Budgie Can't Fly?

budgelove

Meeting neighbors
Hiyo, I have a little baby budgie named Phoenix. He's a baby, bright pink cere and he's changed his cap feathers but he can't really fly. His feathers are shorter than my other budgies and the most I've seen him "fly" is more like gliding a low distance (like my thigh when I'm sitting on the floor) to the floor for around 12 inches/30.48 cm. Lately he has a minor tail bobbing, and I spoke to an avian expert and following her suggestions, I keep the room at 80 degrees F at night and I have an appointment scheduled March 8th with a well certified avian vet. February 28th evening to March 1st evening Phoenix was releasing mostly urine and urate only droppings, seemed to be sleeping ore during the day, ate less, and had a few deep pink spots on his claws. He could still climb around the cage and still groomed himself a lot, as usual, but I immediately took him to an urgent care vet that has experience with birds. He said Phoenix is stable and there's nothing noticeably wrong when Phoenix was examined, although because of the age liver and heart enlargement can't really be ruled out yet. Dropping test is being done right now, and the x-rays were sent to someone more experienced to double check. We went home with two medicines, a pink antibiotic and a white pain killer, and a report that I can take to the avian vet March 8th.

My first question: anyone know why maybe Phoenix can't fly? He's definitely not a rare albino or lutino. The stripes on his cap aren't there so he's at least 3-4 months but his tail and wing feathers aren't long and full grown, and thus he can't quite fly. His wings don't look straight and squared so I don't think he was clipped before I brought him home.

My second question: Anyone have experience with antibiotics? Any suggestions how to help him while he's on the antibiotics?

Thanks ^^

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Can you share a few photos of Phoenix?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree some photos might help :) Did you ask the vet about the flying?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
From what I can see I can't say what it could be. Did they vet mention or even notice the poor flights? Your budgie clearly has a problem and will need tests to be diagnosed.

budgelove

Meeting neighbors
@Ripshod No, last night's emergency care avian vet didn't mention anything about the flights and I'm waiting for the dropping test results and the second opinion from another vet on the x-rays. I'll ask the avian vet I have scheduled for on March 8th.