• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anti-Inflammatory Chop mix recipe anyone? Plz Help!

Chestery

Moving in
Hey Guys,

New here, have no idea what area to post this in, so please feel free to share or put it in the right place.

I have a 7y.o Male Black headed Caique, only child.
He has just been diagnosed with Avian Bonavirus after we saw PDD signs on his Ct scan and investigated further ($4000+ later). I am heartbroken but we are pushing through and desire to do EVERYTHING WE CAN to support our little man, including his diet. We are currently on one of the last bags of Harrisons high potency I can find since the whole covid thing and apparently their import license? He loves it. So hard to find in QLD, or australia for that matter. (That will be my next thread for anyone who knows about that).
He's on all his meds and getting around the clock care from his very worried mumma here...

My question:

Any birdy chefs out there that can help me out with an anti-inflammatory chop mix recipe or direct me to a link in the forum where someone has already laid out the ingredients?

I'm not the most computer literate and as such I find it hard to navigate and search for this (doesn't help i've never joined a forum before! lol)

If anyone could direct me to a person I can directly message or a thread where this is discussed or provide a recipe that would be amazing.

Warmest Regards, Chester and his mum. x

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you get a larger pellet and break it to size?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Look at foods here to avoid and use:

Then try to cross reference with parrot safe foods and recipes:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I used to follow a diet like that when training heavily and playing a full volleyball schedule.

Agree with @Mizzely there are good resources for anti-inflammatory foods.

Sadly, it looks like my favourite resource no longer lists the inflammation properties of specific items. When using that site previously, it would have an index for each item showing whether it increased or decreased inflammation. Will have to look for an alternate.

Chestery

Moving in
Can you get a larger pellet and break it to size?

I have done that with the course and turned it into fine. :)
Nutri-bullets are excellent! Thanks for your reply. I still have a good 2kg left of his Harrisons and store it in the freezer.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Use turmeric for an anti-inflammatory. I’m going t double check a couple others before I tell you to use them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ok. Just wanted to be sure I was right. Oregano is a great anti-inflammatory. Use the plant (dried or fresh) but not the oil. Oregano essential oil is dangerous for birds.

The other one I always like is neem, and I offer it as a tea. You take a handful of neem leaves and steep them in the teakettle for an hour, then strain out the leaves. Offer this in place of your bird’s water. You can use it from one to 30 days without harm (sorry I don’t know beyond that). Try it once a week, neem is like a wonder drug for birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have a PDD positive bird and she has been on Celebrex for as long as I've had her. She was diagnosed by the anti-ganglioside assay test in Dec. when I got her and turned into a clinically active PDD bird in January. I don't know that anti-inflammatory food will do much good - only meloxicam and Celebrex are recognized as a treatment regimen for anti-inflammation in PDD birds - they are cox-2 inhibitors.

Here is Dr. Dalhausen's and Dr. orsaz's latest information on ABV and PDD.

More important is that your bird have a high protein, very low saturated fats diet and that you use prozyme (or something similar) consistently with every meal.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I don't know that anti-inflammatory food will do much good - only meloxicam and Celebrex are recognized as a treatment regimen for anti-inflammation in PDD birds
The thing about NSAID drugs being the only thing recognized as an anti-inflammatory is:
- human patients want to keep eating a burger & fries while sitting on their couch binge-watching Netflix
- within that constraint, NDAIDs are the only thing left at the doctor's disposal to manage inflammation

I have close friends who are doctors and they constantly lament that it's a rare patient who will embrace lifestyle changes, so the same can be said for Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors because people can't stop eating too much sugar, and countless other examples.

Back to our birds, and similarly, it's easier for the human and their vet to dose a pill than to make appropriate changes to diet.

I'm not disputing the efficacy of drugs to manage certain conditions, but appropriate diet is very powerful for managing a number of issues (in birds and humans).

(bias: diet before drugs)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
(bias: diet before drugs)
That's all fine and dandy, but if you have abused yourself, or allowed your bird to to the extent of serious illness. In the case of PDD, self abuse and owner abuse have nothing to do with the disease. The disease is one without a cause. In these two cases diet will not do you or anyone else a bit of good It will require hard medications to survive.

Chestery

Moving in
Ok. Just wanted to be sure I was right. Oregano is a great anti-inflammatory. Use the plant (dried or fresh) but not the oil. Oregano essential oil is dangerous for birds.

The other one I always like is neem, and I offer it as a tea. You take a handful of neem leaves and steep them in the teakettle for an hour, then strain out the leaves. Offer this in place of your bird’s water. You can use it from one to 30 days without harm (sorry I don’t know beyond that). Try it once a week, neem is like a wonder drug for birds.
Neem... Never heard of it, but you obviously know shizz about what you know, and admit what you dont, sooooo, i trust that kind of person. :) Thankyou very much, I will buy some neem leaves and steep in tea. :)

oregano has been added to my chop mix ingredient list as of now.And tumeric. I didnt know birds could have that. :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thankas for your reply, I went to her chop shop website :heart:

OMG so much cool stuff! I loaded up my cart with $89 worth of goodies aaaannddddd.....found out they're American... I'm in Australia. :)
Anyone know anything like this in AUS?
Pretty sure some of the smaller stores are starting to do dried flowers mixes and such. I think it could be Queensland aviaries that does a few dried flower mixes but I’m not positive so I’ll try to remember to check a little later today. We definitely don’t have the same bird food selection options that are available in Canada and the USA

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

OMG so much cool stuff! I loaded up my cart with $89 worth of goodies aaaannddddd.....found out they're American... I'm in Australia. :)
Sorry I didn't realize. You could maybe make your own anti-inflammatory mix based on the ingredients

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

So what did the shipping cost for that amount come to? Also, was that US dollars or AUD?